Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have you ever had glandular fever?

(24 Posts)
OldBagWantsNewBag Sat 15-Feb-14 21:37:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sneakyday Sat 15-Feb-14 21:49:28

I have had glandular fever. I also know that no one will be able to give you a definitive answer. I know someone who was mildly ill for a couple of days and then was fine. I on the other hand lost 2 stone in a fortnight, was off school and work for 2 months and had to make a staged return due to exahustion. My symptoms were alsofar from the worst end of the scale.

sneakyday Sat 15-Feb-14 21:53:23

I hope your symtoms are the lighter ones

Aboyandabunny Sat 15-Feb-14 22:01:40

I had gf 3 years ago. Mine started with horiffic tiredness. I literally couldn't stay awake for more than 4 hours or walk for more than 5 minutes without being exhausted.
My GP tested me for gf among other things. It came back positive for gf.
I ended up in a&e one evening afrer about 3 weeks of tiredness and swollen glands with a heartrate of 174 and very low bp. Two days on a drip getting fluids as couldn't swallow I started to recover. Took a long, long time though.
In short go to your GP a blood test will confirm.

Aboyandabunny Sat 15-Feb-14 22:03:37

Apart from the drip for fluids my treatment was Diclofenic for the pain and Difflam throat spray.

Roseformeplease Sat 15-Feb-14 22:04:43

Horrible, horrible yellow sore throat. Exhausted (felt like one of those sofa bound Victorian maidens) and had 3 weeks off work and struggled after that for months. Be very, very careful as over exertion can lead to long term complications (ME I was told) and avoid anything that might mean you get a bump in the spleen (which will be swollen). No cure, just treat the symptoms and rest.

BeaWheesht Sat 15-Feb-14 22:07:25

Some people have glandular fever and don't even know, it's just like a cold for them.

I got it at uni, confirmed by blood tests, my throat swelled so I could barely breathe, I had double vision, hallucinated and felt horrifically weak. I went back to uni after a week. I felt drained for a good few months sad

phdlife Sat 15-Feb-14 22:11:13

I had it, it didn't come on like yours though. Only after weeks and weeks of sleeping 13hrs a night, getting up for work, falling asleep during carpool, sneaking into toilet for a little nap w my head resting on toilet paper around 10am... dad ordered me to gp, then a sore throat and clear diagnosis. Then going "shyah!" when told to stay home, awful, lost lots of weight, couldn't stay awake long enough to eat a sandwich when I finally felt like making one. LAsted an entire semester. But the actue symptoms, for me, were over very quickly by comparison.

However I've learned a lot more since my then 4yo ds had it: you really really really need to nurse yourself, carefully, because you can do serious damage to your liver if you don't. Also the longer you push yourself, the longer it goes on. And it can come back. And it is seriously implicated in later development of chronic fatigue (ME). So please take it as easy as you possibly can.

I don't mean to be scaremongery but so many ppl think it's just flu-like, but the virus that causes gf (epstein-barr) can do a lot. Am v sorry you have it on top of other immune problems.

actually now i think on it, it may be worth the blood test just to ensure it isn't something else like parvovirus or CMV. I only know because 12m after ds had gf, he had something v similar and path lab thought it likely a "false positive" caused by one of the above.

hth, good luck.

phdlife Sat 15-Feb-14 22:12:03

oh duh - Rose is right - spleen not liver. too many wake-ups last night hmm

CharlesRyder Sat 15-Feb-14 22:15:55

I caught GF on my 18th birthday by snogging a very beautiful boy who was carrying it.

He was a bit ill for a couple of weeks.

I had 6 months off school. About 2 weeks in my dad carried me into hospital because I was delirious and coughing up blood- my tonsils were so infected they were rupturing and I had to be put on a drip because I couldn't drink. I slept on the sofa for weeks because I was too weak to walk up the stairs and I remember being aware of my dad standing over me in the middle of the night, clearly checking I was alive, like you do with a toddler.

It was a month before I could walk as far as the car for my mum to take me out to look at the sea for a change of scene.

Probably at the extreme end of the scale- but don't beat yourself up if you have it and feel useless. It is vile!!

Sheldonswhiteboard Sat 15-Feb-14 22:16:50

Had it when I was 17 after a couple of bouts of tonsillitis. Had 3 weeks off work, felt quite tired for about month after return to work. The only long term impact was after all the throat infections my singing voice was buggered. Used to sing top soprano, my voice never really recovered.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Sat 15-Feb-14 22:17:56

the trouble is there isn't a reliable specific test for it - the test is just to see if your white blood cells count is raised
some people will have a virus that goes after a few days or a week
gf will knock you out for weeks - its a whole new level of tiredness

Sheldonswhiteboard Sat 15-Feb-14 22:18:22

Forgot to say, just had strong painkillers. Sorry you are going through this, hope you get well soon!

Snicci Sat 15-Feb-14 22:26:33

I had GF before and completely sympathise.

You could go to your GP and they will probably so bloods but unfortunately there isn't any medication you can take except pain relief and drink plenty of fluids. I ended up getting continuous bouts of tonsillitis after the GF so I did get antibiotics prescribed for that. In the end they recommended I got them removed (I was 23) as it was coming back every 4-6 weeks hmm

MrsMagnificent Sat 15-Feb-14 22:36:08

I had GF when DD was 1. Got to admit I didn't fully get over it for about 11 months. I am a lone parent and I don't get paid from work if I'm off sick and literally could not afford to be off. I took 3 days in total (I only do 2 days a week) but the rest of the time I dragged myself in. I think this played a part in how long it took to recover.

I do think it is one of these things which can vary quite alot in severity. Hopefully you can take some time to rest. Plenty fluid and make sure you keep on top of painkillers. It's an awful thing to have. I got prescribed tramadol from the doctors and that helped a bit.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

EBearhug Sat 15-Feb-14 23:01:54

I had it during the second year of uni. I was tired, and thought I had an ear infection - the amoxycillin the doc prescribed for me produced a most impressive rash, and the uni nurse sent me straight to the GP to ask for a GF test, as apparently this is a common reaction. That was 28th October (mate's birthday), and I got the results (positive) on Hallowe'en.

The ear symptoms were mostly gone by then, but I did get the most horrendous mouth ulcer, basically one massive ulcer covering the whole of the inside of my cheek, and was sore every time it rubbed against my cheek (i.e. all the time) - I ended up padding out my cheek with cotton wool just so I could get some sleep.

Otherwise, I was mostly just tired a lot - couldn't do late nights, and did get into an afternoon nap habit for a term or two. That was it for me, but a friend who got it at the same time was bed-ridden for 3 weeks and took far longer to recover, as did another friend from home at around the same time.

You can't give blood for 2 years after having GF - I think it's two years from the last active symptoms, but can't remember the details (and they may have changed in the 2 decades since.) That's an indication of how long it can take to get it out of your system, and that's assuming you don't have any relapse at all in that time, which would start the counter again.

OldBagWantsNewBag Sat 15-Feb-14 23:32:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bonkersLFDT20 Sat 15-Feb-14 23:43:55

I had it when I was about 28 or 29.
The only reason I know it was that is because I went to the doc because I'd been feeling run down for weeks, she ran some blood tests and that's what it was. I was really surprised as I'd always thought it was really terrible.
I obviously got off lightly! I hope you start to feel better soon OP.

Guiltypleasures001 Sun 16-Feb-14 00:25:42

I had gp for roughly 18 months on and off, I still remember the pain with sore throats now, and dreading swallowing because of the .

I had my tonsils out at 18 and I was so ill afterwards, my son had both tonsils and adenoids out at 8 I pushed for it as he was stopping breathing at night because they were so big. Best decision I ever made it changed the way he spoke as well.

RockinD Sun 16-Feb-14 13:37:26

I had GF when I was 17. It started in the August, was diagnosed in the September and I finally returned to school the following February. I had lasting after effects in terms of fatigue and I now understand that it is implicated in the thyroid problem I have now developed.

naty1 Sun 16-Feb-14 14:18:11

Thats interesting i had gf at 20 during my uni finals.
I now have hypothyroidism too (though my DSis also has that and hasnt had gf)
Truly awful and wasnt well again for year or 2 kept getting lots of colds etc

JanineStHubbins Sun 16-Feb-14 14:21:56

I had it when I was 18. Was completely out of it - fever, hallucinating, zombie-like, so weak I couldn't stand in the shower - for a month or so, and then another two months in bed more or less as an invalid, sleeping all the time. Had the horrible swollen raw throat as well. Went back to uni after about 3 months, but found it v difficult to do full days, and was v rundown for another year or so. Picked up every bug that was around as well as kidney infection and bronchiolitis.

CFSKate Sun 16-Feb-14 15:05:15

I agree with those who say you should be careful and take care of yourself. I don't know how it all works, but you say you have an auto-immune disease already, I recently read this about Epstein Barr Virus and auto immune illnesses, so please do whatever you can to rest and take care of yourself as much as possible.

gobbin Sun 16-Feb-14 16:35:53

I felt bleurr for best part of two years after having GF, although i was back to work within a week after the original infection (which gave me the worst thoat I've ever had).

I didn't know I'd had it until blood tests for something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now