Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

C section recovery

(15 Posts)
Doodle1983 Sat 15-Feb-14 17:54:15

Not sure where the best place for this post is ...

Had a c section a fortnight ago, I feel very well in myself but obviously a lot of pain in my abdomen where the incision was made.
I've stayed in the house since leaving hospital as wanted to take it really easy and not to bugger up any recovery.

How long can I expect to have a lot of pain in my tum for ? I've been given ibruprofen and paracetamol to take 4 times a day and have these last few days dropped down to three times a day (purely because I don't like taking the drugs rather than feeling like I can).

Surely I can't keep taking painkillers for weeks and weeks ??

AnotherWorld Sat 15-Feb-14 17:58:21

If I were you I'd seek medical advice.

I was off painkillers after a week after each of my three c sections.

Doodle1983 Sat 15-Feb-14 18:18:00

Shit - maybe I just need to man up then??

Cinnamon2013 Sat 15-Feb-14 18:24:08

Pain varies a lot from person to person. It depends on your threshold but also on how the op was done. I'd check with your health visitor. I felt better after a week but some people take painkillers up to six weeks I think? I think your current approach sounds sensible (and it's not morphine etc) there's no need at all to man up! Take your time and be gentle with yourself, it's a blimmin big operation. Hope you feel much stronger soon

FlumpieWumpie Sat 15-Feb-14 18:40:05

I had a t-section (as DS was completely stuck)... I was in slight pain, and the massive plaster itched like f***, but I managed to unblock the waste disposal after 7 days (bent down under sink). I do remember DH sitting on my tummy by accident and me screaming - think about the same time. I would just take it easy. Even now, 8 years later, I still know that scar is there. Am very aware. Not painful... it's just there... sometimes itchy. Probably slightly more sensitive there. I'd keep taking the tablets... it's a big operation. You sound happy and positive, that's the main thing. The scar will fade to nothingness and not bother you (unless someone accidentally kicks you there!!).

Bluecarrot Sat 15-Feb-14 18:42:49

I was off painkillers within 2 days. Def go see a dr urgently if still painful. How does scar look?

missmagnum Sat 15-Feb-14 18:59:46

I was off painkillers after a few days but walked quite bent over for 3 weeks. By week 6 I was pretty much normal but had sensitive scar for nearly a year. Get the occasional tug or itch every now and then 3 years post op.

How is it looking? does it look like its healing ok or seeping? think a trip to the doc would be a good idea, for peace of mind, if nothing else.

Mrswellyboot Sat 15-Feb-14 19:09:50

Hi doodle I was also in terrible pain. It turned out I had a kidney infection. I was on four hourly paracetamol for about two weeks. After that I was tender but not in pain. Get yourself checked. Congrats on little baby.

Suzietwo Sat 15-Feb-14 19:12:07

Don't panic. The recovery can hurt. My experience of there being something wrong (infection) was that it HURT. Worse than anything else. That was my second section. First just Hurt. For at least a month.

meglet Sat 15-Feb-14 19:14:58

I was on painkillers for over a month after my ECMS. But it didn't feel like anything was wrong IYSWIM. I was simply very battered and not resting enough.

I think you need to see your GP, or even the out of hours GP this evening.

StressheadMcGee Sat 15-Feb-14 19:16:34

I definitely still needed the painkillers at two weeks post section, but didn't need them by the time DS was 3 weeks old, I remember being surprised at how quickly the pain died down. If you're still under the midwife, it might be worth having a chat at your next check up for peace of mind.
He's now 4mo, and I know that the scar's there, but it doesn't hurt, if that makes sense.
Congratulations on your new baby too.

Doodle1983 Sat 15-Feb-14 19:42:39

Thanks guys . It doesn't hurt constantly and not severe pain at all. Just a sore kind of pain. An ache, and an occasional twinge. Wound looks lovely and tidy and no redness at all- till some visible bruising.

Mrswellyboot Sat 15-Feb-14 20:23:39

I think that is normal doodle. It is a major operation. Rest lots. As much as you can.

jimijack Sat 15-Feb-14 20:29:24

I was off painkillers by about day 5 for both of my sections.

By week 2 I was walking ds 1 to school & back pushing the pram and doing everything as normal. (Laundry, hovering etc)

Are you sure that you don't have an infection causing such pain?

ssmile Sat 15-Feb-14 20:46:03

I've had 2sections first unplanned but not a crash section and second planned. The planned was less sore but I have low pain threshold and took pain killers for as long as needed them but I echo the other posts do get checked out by the GP or midwife it's better to be safe than sorry and it's a major op with a very hard recovery on broken sleep and demanding newborn so take it easy& good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now