Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Iron tablets

(14 Posts)
ClearlyMoo Sat 15-Feb-14 10:53:32

I'm 28 weeks pregnant. Borderline anaemic so prescribed iron tablets... Was a bit confused as RDA is 14mg iron, but tablets contain 69mg each and I'm supposed to take 3 a day!? Had a chat to pharmacist and he said that it's to ensure you actually absorb some of it but if I was worried take 1/2 day...

So I stared taking them, with orange juice. Avoiding tea and milk products within 2 hrs either side of tablet taking... to maximise absorption.

I've had some constipation issues already this pregnancy so was worried about the effect of iron , but have added back in the daily dose of prune juice and 4 days in seems I'm doing ok in that department.

Sorry if too much info but after only 4 days of. 2 x iron tabs/day I have black stools!! I know it said it might happen but is positively freaky!

Just wondered if anyone else had experience of taking iron/ side effects and if prune juice is doing it's job if it will continue to moving forward...

Thanks in advance!

LuckyDayInHell Sat 15-Feb-14 14:14:45

Relax! After emergency CS I was on 600mg a day!
Never saw stools blacker and constipation was awful! I took prune juice, swigged lactulose out of the bottle and drank A LOT of water. That helped.

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 15-Feb-14 14:43:54

Try spatone iron supplement- much easier to digest than the tradional tablets.

LuckyDayInHell Sat 15-Feb-14 14:54:02

Isn't spatone only 15mg though?

mercibucket Sat 15-Feb-14 17:48:15

spatone is more easily absorbed so it doesnt need to be so high
also doesnt give you black poo grin

ClearlyMoo Sat 15-Feb-14 18:11:44

Thanks all, I was recommended spatone but couldn't work out how much iron is in it when I looked on Amazon...

Good to hear that 140-210mg/day is a "low" dose!

MrsPinotGrigio Sat 15-Feb-14 23:39:39

Your iron stores may also be low so the higher dose may have been prescribed to increase that. Black stools are normal if you're taking Iron tablets. I'm assuming you've been prescribed Ferrous Sulphate? If you're having problems with constipation ask the dr/midwife for Ferrous Gluconate as it's gentler on your stomach.

ClearlyMoo Sun 16-Feb-14 15:56:12

Hi. It's Ferrous Fumarate, is that easily absorbed does anyone know!? Thankfully I'm not constipated...yet, just hoping I can prevent things going that way! Thanks all!

EnlightenedOwl Sun 16-Feb-14 16:11:04

I take that not for pregnancy related deficiency but seem to be unable to absorb iron for no reason anyone can think of. Not too many side effects but I only take 2 per day.

WhoNickedMyName Sun 16-Feb-14 16:20:05

You absorb hardly any of the iron in tablets.

Spatone is much better, gentler on your tum, fewer side effects, easily absorbed (you absorb almost all of the dose) and if pregnant you can take 2 sachets a day.

Only problem is you can't get it on prescription and its quite expensive. Boots or Holland and Barrett nearly always have it on offer though.

ClearlyMoo Sun 16-Feb-14 17:09:35

How much actual iron in spatone?

WhoNickedMyName Sun 16-Feb-14 17:30:21

This should help you.

specialsubject Sun 16-Feb-14 19:22:00

freaky side effect nothing to worry about.

before tinkering, why not go back to the person with the years of medical training and get your questions answered?

mercibucket Sun 16-Feb-14 19:34:31

lolol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now