Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Zoladex

(18 Posts)
gingeme Fri 14-Feb-14 18:11:05

Good evening all. I have endometriosis and my gyneocologist has suggested I use Zoladez rather than have a hysterectomy. Have any of you had this and what were the results please ? smile

gingeme Sat 15-Feb-14 09:27:16

Anyone ?

gingeme Sun 16-Feb-14 11:29:02

Thanks !

MegGriffin Sun 16-Feb-14 12:29:35

Bumping for you. Endometriosis is a horrible condition.

gingeme Sun 16-Feb-14 15:04:46

Thankyou smile

Willdoitinaminute Sun 16-Feb-14 20:32:30

Yes then followed up with cauterization via laparoscopy.I had improvement in pain but my periods were still heavy. Also allowed me to get pregnant. Following that had Mirena coil fitted and have very little bleeding or pain now. I still have some background aches and pains but they do not effect the quality of my life which they certainly did before.

gingeme Mon 17-Feb-14 08:58:07

Morning Wildo. Thankyou. Can I ask did you have any menopause symptoms while having the injections ?

scornedwoman67 Mon 17-Feb-14 18:11:11

Hi Gingeme. I had it but I have to be honest it was awful for me & made my pain worse. I was subsequently told by a reliable source that in our area they try it because its cheaper than offering a hysterectomy. I got so fed up in the end I went private. I'd had endometriosis for years, then ovarian cysts and fluid in my fallopian tubes. I was in a mess.It really depends on each person & the reasons it is being prescribed. All I would say is if it doesn't help, don't be fobbed off. x

gingeme Mon 17-Feb-14 18:30:45

But how will I know if it helps if I dont try it ? If I find no improvement say after 4 months can I stop it and have the op ? She also suggested the mirena coil at the same time !! I dont see the point tbh. Oh Im so confused sad

scornedwoman67 Mon 17-Feb-14 22:21:13

I was put on Zoladex after refusing the Mirena. I'd heard a few horror stories about it. Some people swear by it though! After being on Zoladex for a couple of weeks I woke up one night in excruciating pain and was rushed in to hospital. A scan showed I had two big ovarian cysts and various other complications. I was told I would have to wait for a hysterectomy on the NHS so went private. A friend who knows a consultant in the area was told that they will always go down the Zoladex and Mirena route because they are cheaper options. I know everyone is different but just make sure if a treatment isn't helping you keep on going back. Good luck! !!

gingeme Mon 17-Feb-14 22:43:22

Thankyou. You have just made up my mind to push for a hysterectomygrin

scornedwoman67 Tue 18-Feb-14 00:06:08

Good luck. I'm two years post-hysterectomy & am so glad I had it done. Do keep us posted & feel free to pm if you want to compare notes!!

gingeme Tue 18-Feb-14 08:17:27

Could I first of all ask you what you had for them to offer you the Zerodex ?

invicta Tue 18-Feb-14 08:22:51

I've been on Zoladex for over a year for breast cancer. The injections are a little uncomfortable at the time - a bit like having a blood sample taken- buts it's all over and done with quickly. The only side effects I've had are localised bruising at the injection site, and possibly weight gain( could be due to the tamoxifen I'm also on). I think i would prefer that then having a operation.

gingeme Tue 18-Feb-14 08:42:54

invicta Ive had endometriosis for 15 years and have tried just about everything to relieve it. The past two years have been the worst and Im at the end of my tether now. I have heard positive things about a hysterectomy and your the only paerson who has told me a ppositive thing about the injection !!

Willdoitinaminute Tue 18-Feb-14 22:29:05

Sorry not been back on today. I some menopause symptoms with a little weight gain but far better than the recovery from elective c-section which is pretty much on par with hysterectomy. Before Zoladex I would have given my right arm for hysterectomy but then I wouldn't have my beautiful DS. Its major surgery even if performed vaginally and recovery is slow in that you activity is restricted post op to prevent internal damage. Also there is little point in removing the uterus unless the ovaries go too since the condition is hormone driven and you will still have problems with the lesions outside of the uterus around the abdomen. So full hysterectomy will result in early menopause.
My GP was very kind and made sure I had a local anaesthetic prior to injection. I too had bruising with the first couple but GP was very slick and the rest were problem free.

scornedwoman67 Tue 18-Feb-14 22:33:34

I had endometriosis. Like you I was just in the most terrible pain. in the end I would be bed-bound for two days each month & on pain killers for at least fourteen days of it. I was told the Zoladex would help. For me it did the opposite. sad sad

gingeme Wed 19-Feb-14 08:28:22

Morning ladies. I know all of us are different and different drugs affect us in different ways just the same as recovery time from ops. I am on another thread with ladies who are post hysterectomy and some are already swimming and back to work and some are still pottering around like a wet blanket. But of all the info and stories Ive been reading I shall opt for the op with full removal. Being self employed I can pretty much please myself when I want to return to work and I have a good network of family and friends to stop me going stir crazy and my Mum to cuddle on the bad days grin .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now