Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I've ovedosed on iron, will I be ok? 964mg daily

(6 Posts)
Handsup Fri 14-Feb-14 14:57:25

I was prescribed ferrous fumerate 210mg x3 for low ferritin (heavy periods). When the pack has finished I normally buy a new pack minus prescription because it seems to work out a bit cheaper. So ...after taking new pack since Wednesday, noticed I've been headachey, thirsty with a dodgey tum decided to check the dosage of new pack and it's 322mg which I've been taking x3 which according to google I've been overdosing several days. Am I being dramatic or should I call my GP surgery for advice?

2old2beamum Fri 14-Feb-14 15:30:33

My advice would call your GP or the NHS help line as too much iron can be dangerous but can't remember the levels. Please call now

Handsup Fri 14-Feb-14 18:49:13

Thanks for the advice. Called NHS direct and they said I should call or they would call an ambulance based on my symptoms. I assured them I'd be fine driving and definitely didn't feel like A&E material confused.
Hospital was great (I was in and out in 50 minutes) - apparently I was not in the toxic range but did the right thing in getting checked out.

2old2beamum Fri 14-Feb-14 19:08:22

Thank you for letting me know. Many years ago when I was a student a 2year old ate all his mum's iron pills Different with children but I will never forget.It was awful.
Moral of this post read the label

So glad you are ok

EnlightenedOwl Sat 15-Feb-14 17:03:31

I get my iron off prescription (ferrous fumerate) but as you have realised you do need to be careful you are getting the right strength.

2old2beamum Sat 15-Feb-14 21:00:21

Thanks for letting me know.....I was concerned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now