Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can a bad asthma attack give symptoms like a heart attack?

(18 Posts)
ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Fri 14-Feb-14 13:39:54

And can asthma be brought on by stress? Also, what do you do when your inhaler isn't helping?

In hospital with chest pains and pain spreading down left arm. ECG was fine. Blood tests fine. Doctor 1 thinks could have been a warning. Doctor 2 said asthma attack brought on by stress.

This happened on Monday and I am still feeling tired at times with my chest feeling tight and feeling like I can't fully breathe. Doing my inhaler more but not feeling any better which makes me think it isn't asthma confused.

littlemslazybones Fri 14-Feb-14 13:57:04

Mostly asthma attacks feel like you feel at the moment, exhausting, like there is a weight on your chest and struggling to breathe. Inhalers are not always effective, you might need a nebulizer or a course of steroids. I would make an emergency appt with the gp. If you are not getting relief from your inhaler you need more help.

littlemslazybones Fri 14-Feb-14 14:00:10

Asthma can be triggered by stress but my best guess is that it would be odd to get to adulthood without any asthma symptoms and then have it start because of stress but speak to your gp about it.

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Fri 14-Feb-14 14:00:56

I think I will ring the surgery and see what they say. Is difficult when the receptionist grills you to what is wrong, sends your details to OOH and then you get a call and told to come - all while trying to get the kids from school and look after them.

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Fri 14-Feb-14 14:01:32

I have had asthma for 23 years. It hasn't just started.

littlemslazybones Fri 14-Feb-14 14:03:24

No, that's not acceptable, you need to tackle that receptionist. Tell her you are not getting relied from your inhaler following a severe attack. You can't mess around with this.

littlemslazybones Fri 14-Feb-14 14:08:13

Sorry, I'm not answeing properly, am trying to jig a baby asleep. Yeah, it's shit getting things done when your breathing is shit and your bones ache with exhaustion, draw in whatever help you can with the kids and get some medical help.

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Fri 14-Feb-14 14:20:02

No answer from the surgery.

I am taking deep breaths to try and see if that helps. Got to go out at 3 for the kids and the weather is awful. Time to get wellies I think.

littlemslazybones Fri 14-Feb-14 14:56:40

When you get back from the school run you need to decide if you are coping with the breathlessness ok or if you need to get back to a&e.

I'm concerned that if you were unwell before the school run you might be really unwell now. If so and you have a volumatic you can put 10 hits of ventolin in there and that should help and then you need to get help.

Sorry if that's patronising advice, I'm just worried. I ignored all my red flags last year trying to keep the wheels at home running and ended up with a peak flow of sweet fuck all and a week in hospital. Take Care.

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Fri 14-Feb-14 18:31:13

I just don't know what is going on. Inhaler doesn't help so maybe I am not getting what is going on. My bra was uncomfortable so I am in my dressing gown and I just feel like I want to breathe deeper but feel scared too. I think it is possibly more anxiety than asthma atm blush.

Sorry for worrying you. Feel free to be annoyed. I just don't know what is going on.

poorincashrichinlove Fri 14-Feb-14 18:44:07

Is it possible you also had a panic attack? They can feel an awful lot like a heart attack (although not sure about the pain down the arm) and are brought on by stress

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Fri 14-Feb-14 19:45:12

The pain was Monday. I have not felt right all week. Now I have pain in my left breast and still can only shallow breathe. Fed up.

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Fri 14-Feb-14 19:55:05

dh says I had this before and when 111 sent an ambulance they said it was anxiety and not asthma as my inhaler wasn't helping. I am not feeling anxious, well I am now but the breathing problems were from before. I know I should ring for advice but with dh being like this I feel what's the point. he will be all I told you so

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Fri 14-Feb-14 20:19:32

on phone 111

poorincashrichinlove Fri 14-Feb-14 20:22:50

Best to check it out toffee

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Sat 15-Feb-14 09:01:04

I am back home now. After ringing 111 for reassurance they sent an ambulance whose drivers then took me to hospital as they said I could be having a silent heart attack shock. Thankfully I wasn't. I can't remember exactly what was said but there is something wrong with my muscles and my breathing is over compensating and that is why I can't breathe properly. Could take 2 weeks for the pain to go. Have been given tablets for 2 weeks but scared to take them tbh. Think the diagnosis is stress. Thanks all for your support.

littlemslazybones Sat 15-Feb-14 12:02:28

Hi Toffee, glad you found help and know what you're dealing with. Anything has to be better than a silent heart attack, right?

Take the meds Toffee, they wouldn't prescribe them if they weren't for the best.

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Sat 15-Feb-14 12:06:36

I have got the tablets. The possible side effects scare me tbh when the children are off school and need looking after. DH is here today and tomorrow and I will start them later. Currently having a drink I can't have when on tablets so having that first as didn't know the restrictions.

Thanks again.

Stop being so stressed is my plan confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now