Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Coil? Yay or nay?

(25 Posts)
2kidsintow Thu 13-Feb-14 21:30:10

They are really pushing this option at the moment at the GPs.

I've been taken off the combined pill because of migraine auras and now am taking another medicine that decreases the effect of the contraceptive pill (carbamezapine).

Wondering what's left. Will be going to GP in a week so wonder if anyone on here can share their experience so I'll be better informed.

ANM07 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:35:55

I have a copper coil because hormones don't agree with me. No problems with it at all would recommend one.

2andout Thu 13-Feb-14 21:38:15

I have the Mirena coil, been using for 4 years now & have had no problems at all. HTH smile

kazzawazzawoo Thu 13-Feb-14 21:38:28

Minipill - POP?

Discomama Thu 13-Feb-14 21:39:36

Copper coil here no problems, love it 3 day period, happy days!

cashewfrenzy Thu 13-Feb-14 21:39:42

Copper coil. Awesome.

Big bad periods for the first few months. Now I have around 3 days of bleeding and a couple of hours of period pains (although the odd moment is really sore) and that's it. Fabulous.

cashewfrenzy Thu 13-Feb-14 21:40:26

Disco grin period twins!

ToAvoidConversation Thu 13-Feb-14 21:42:41

Mirena experience here and fuck nooooooo

onedev Thu 13-Feb-14 21:45:49

Miren coil & I find it fantastic!

MirandaWest Thu 13-Feb-14 21:47:20

I have a Mirena coil. Onto my second one now and it's great. I found having it inserted at a family planning clinic was much better than the first one which was inserted at the GPs

TessTackle Thu 13-Feb-14 21:49:14

Mirena coil here, coming up to two years and I love it. Only issue is some pain/discomfort if DP gets carried away.

ReluctantCamper Thu 13-Feb-14 21:51:03

copper coil here for 15 years (not when pregnant, and not always the same one obviously). I love it, no heavy periods and only my own hormones in my body.

WidowWadman Thu 13-Feb-14 21:54:31

Copper coil was awful for me, painful, long and heavy periods every 21 days. Now on Mirena and have to make my mind up. No issues at insertion (as opposed to copper coil which made me bleed heavily for a week at insertion despite fully breastfeeding an 8 week old baby), took the Cerazette alongside it initially until I had the all-ok at my 4 week coil check. That was a month ago, and unfortunately I realise today that it doesn't keep me period free like the Cerazette did. Seems to be light though, and therefore bearable.

Tex111 Thu 13-Feb-14 22:03:13

Tried Mirena for a year. Loved not worrying about birth control, loved very light occasional periods but it gave me abdominal pain and terrible bloat. Thought it would stop after weeks or months but it didn't and I ended up having it removed. Lots of friends have had them for years with no problems. I say try it. You can always have it removed if it doesn't suit you.

2kidsintow Thu 20-Feb-14 16:39:27

The problem for me, with the mirena, is that it's a progesterone only method. When I was taking Cerelle, I suffered from the spottiest skin I've had since I was 17. And they were deep and painful and didn't clear for days. Not so good.

Stockhausen Thu 20-Feb-14 18:21:00

Mirena here too, love it.

Having it replaced this year.

somedizzywhore1804 Thu 20-Feb-14 18:23:39

I had the mirena before I got pregnant and I liked it for the most part but it didn't make my migraines any better so maybe it's not the contraceptive for you if you have them badly? In fact mine got worse on the mirena in terms of length of migraine.

expatinscotland Thu 20-Feb-14 18:29:25

DON'T let them bully you into Mirena if you reacted badly to progesterone only contraception. They will tell you total BS - the hormones don't leave the uterus (how does that happen? I thought the uterus stays alive by being part of the fucking bloodstream), it doesn't cause side effects because it's low dose, etc etc.

And then they won't take it out if you get side effects, fob you off for months telling you it will settle.

Go copper coil if you don't want ANY hormones.

WinterDrawsOff Thu 20-Feb-14 18:33:01

Mirena - hell no.

Don't be browbeaten into accepting any coil. GPs get a nice bonus payment for every coil they fit. It's not about your health, it's all about the QOF points. Google it.

FullOfChoc Thu 20-Feb-14 18:37:12

I love my Merina, on the second one now.

WidowWadman Thu 20-Feb-14 19:02:44

winter since the pill doesn't seem to be an option with the OP's medical history what do you suggest?

Obviously the coil is attractive to GPs because it's cheaper and there's less risk of failure through user error, I can't see anything sinister about that.

RockinD Thu 20-Feb-14 19:27:33

Copper coil here for donkeys years. Very straightforward and no problems at all.

Hormonal contraception doesn't agree with me either, long history of problems with the combined and the mini pill, but still they tried to get me to have a Mirena and told me the hormones were contained in the uterus.

AmandinePoulain Thu 20-Feb-14 19:33:58

If you get spots from progesterone I wouldn't recommend the mirena. I had mine removed yesterday after a year of almost constant bleeding and spotting (every day for 6 months and then 2-3 week long periods every 3-4 weeks since), but I also developed acne on my back which isn't something I've ever had before. My GP was happy to remove it and I'm back on Yasmin. It's a real shame because I was really looking forward to not having periods like most other women wink

vulgarwretch Thu 20-Feb-14 19:38:22

I've had a copper coil for over 7 years. I'm very happy with it. I would always suggest trying the copper coil first before the mirena - it does give some people unpleasantly heavy periods but, if it works for you, you have a very effective, hormone-free method of contraception that you can more or less forget about for 10 years. Fabulous imo.

expatinscotland Thu 20-Feb-14 19:40:07

'but still they tried to get me to have a Mirena and told me the hormones were contained in the uterus.'

Yeah, that ol' shite. The hormones go into the bloodstream like anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now