Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroid issues?

(5 Posts)
Limeissweet Thu 13-Feb-14 18:18:54

My brother has underactive thyroid and I've been getting a lot of symptoms so my GP sent me for blood tests, my results are back and all normal (my TSH is 2.05 and T4 is 10.2). I've been feeling very ill for a long time, wondered if anyone has any advise. Thanks in advance x

naty1 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:45:53

Mine was 2.1 about 3 years ago. After baby went to 3.7 so gradually got worse (maybe due to baby)
I think generally they may not treat until over 10 though the range is only up to 4.
I would say i had symptoms at 2
Really cold mainly and affected my periods maybe.
I am now being treated (but only to keep under 2.5 for ivf)
But as it is still at a level where i felt ill anyway i dont feel any better.
I know im really cold still as they cant get a vein to take blood.
TSH also varies seasonally and slightly during the day.
Supposedly you can see if you have it by taking temp a bit like when ttc and it will be very low.
Mine was (not that i would expect gp to take notice of this)
What symptoms?

mercibucket Thu 13-Feb-14 22:18:08

do you know the range for the t4?

did they test for antibodies?

naty1 Fri 14-Feb-14 07:48:00

Not sure about antibodies. As my sister is also being treated would think they are probably high.
I think they dont want to find that as at moment i am paying for prescriptions and if they diagnose autoimmune then its all free.
I will have to make sure they test on my next check up

If you ask for a printout.
Mine had the lab ranges used on it
Do you have a need to have it lowered ie ttc or something

catslave Sat 15-Feb-14 16:09:04

10.4??? In my area the range is 12-22 for a normal T4 reading, and to feel ok, you really need to be in the top 3rd of the range. I would make a list of your symptoms (feeling cold, feeling tired, crappy nails etc etc) and keep going back to your GP until they act - as to be referred to endocrinology. Or print out a list of thyroid deficiency symptoms from t'internet and tick off all the ones you have. With a reading of 10.4 I am surprised you have the energy to get to your keyboard!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now