Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hip pain after pregnancy not getting better

(5 Posts)
TheSkiingGardener Thu 13-Feb-14 09:58:53

DS2 is 11 months and at the end of the pregnancy I had a fair bit of hip pain, but not enough to get a diagnosis (SPD I would have thought). However, 11 months later I'm still having problems. Any ideas that might help? Is it worth seeing a GP or should I just get some Pilates/core strengthening done?

SidandAndyssextoy Thu 13-Feb-14 10:12:27

I would go to your GP. I had lingering hip pain after very severe pain in pregnancy and have since been diagnosed with arthritis. I've had a very good painkilling injection, and it's improved a lot doing aqua aerobics (as recommended by the ortho doctor). But it took a lot of faffing and an alert Physio to get to that point. Don't just ignore it, as it can be helped. The good news is that it didn't hurt at all in my second pregnancy.

flow4 Thu 13-Feb-14 10:16:03

Worth seeing your GP, I'd have thought.

Core strengthening will help. Also (speaking from experience, tho' my last pregnancy was 14/15 years ago) consider/check hypermobility syndrome and/or dropped arches. I have both, and they were worsened (HMS) and caused (arches) by pregnancy. They went undiagnosed for a very long time, and have caused me serious long-term problems.

TheSkiingGardener Thu 13-Feb-14 10:45:50

Ok, I'll go to the GP, thanks. I have flat feet and am overweight so you are right, I probably need to take action now rather than let it build. I'll see what they say and see if I can get a physio referral.

Thanks

flow4 Thu 13-Feb-14 11:53:11

Yes, good idea! When arthritis was first picked up in my R knee, I was told that if I had worn arch supports, it could have been prevented. I should have lost weight too... Now I am on the waiting list for a hip replacement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now