Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What could the cause of numbness in my fingertips ?

(14 Posts)
onedev Thu 13-Feb-14 00:07:58

As the title says, any idea what could cause the fingertips on one or both hands to be numb? It seems to happen during the drive home from work (sometimes on the drive to work also) & occasionally at other times. When it happens, the pads of my fingertips are extremely white when the rest of my hands are reddish (my normal colour). Thanks in advance!

onedev Thu 13-Feb-14 07:42:04

Bumping for the morning crowd - anyone any ideas?

juule Thu 13-Feb-14 07:46:32

Raynauds?

learnasyougo Thu 13-Feb-14 07:47:20

could be raynauds. cold cab trigger blood vessels, often in fingers, toes or nose) to over react and behave as though you're in the arctic. thr blood vessels constrict, turning your fingers white.
I get this and its strange what triggers it. sometimes it happens just by walking past the chiller cabinets in the supermarket, getting my hands ir feet wet or if I'm cold (but my hands aren't) my fingers or feet go numb and white.

Google raynauds and see if this fits. it's more common in women.

MrsNoodleHead Thu 13-Feb-14 07:49:01

RSI? My hands used to tingle/ go numb in places when I had RSI from too much typing.

onedev Thu 13-Feb-14 20:47:24

Thanks - I really appreciate the feedback. I've looked at the Reynauds link - it looks like that & description sounds right except it doesn't hurt, just numb. Last night I couldn't take my boots off due to the numbness, but generally it's not that bad.

I reckon it's maybe a posture thing with me though too as days when I'm at my desk a lot seem it be days when it's worst!

Enb76 Thu 13-Feb-14 20:49:08

I get this, mine's Raynauds.

sausagefortea Thu 13-Feb-14 21:05:23

You can have just numbness and no pain with Raynaud's.

onedev Thu 13-Feb-14 21:50:10

What do you guys do for it? Is it serious? Do I need to see a dr?

Reinette Fri 14-Feb-14 18:00:59

I'm going against the crowd here - ANY numbness or tingling in fingers/hands or toes/feet is cause to see your Dr and s/he will almost certainly want to do some basic neurological tests or send you to a neurologist to do (e.g. Follow my fingers with your eyes, do some dexterity tests, walking various ways, etc - nothing invasive) to rule out something more serious. I won't scare you with my story, which also began with intermittent finger numbness, but I will encourage you to see your Dr ASAP to rule out anything major.

TeamEdward Fri 14-Feb-14 18:03:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

raspberrytart Fri 14-Feb-14 18:07:26

I get this, have a trapped nerve in my neck. I need to have better posture apparently and do some head/ neck excercises

MrsBungle Fri 14-Feb-14 18:08:49

This sounds like carpal tunnel to me - mine is worse when driving.

onedev Fri 14-Feb-14 19:43:24

Ok, thanks all. Reinette, thanks for that - I know I probably should see the doctor, I just always feel like I'm bothering them unnecessarily & wasting NHS resources, so was hoping for a unanimous MN diagnosis of it being nothing to worry about (& believe it or not, I'm actually an intelligent individual with kids & a responsible job blush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now