Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone waiting for a breast clinic referral?

(23 Posts)
phlebas Wed 12-Feb-14 22:23:52

My GP referred me today - she said it should be two (or occasionally three) weeks. The 'thing' is in my armpit - it aches & is a bit tender, more thickened than a lump. She's prescribed antibiotics, I am trying very hard not to freak out. Can't get ideas of inflammatory breast cancer out of my head.

Innogen Wed 12-Feb-14 22:26:24

My little sister is waiting for a biopsy on her three lumps. She's only 17 sad

phlebas Wed 12-Feb-14 22:29:55

17! Your poor sister sad

Slothlorien Wed 12-Feb-14 22:33:52

I was referred before Christmas and still waiting.
I will chase it up.

malteserzz Wed 12-Feb-14 22:34:15

I hope that you both get some good news soon. If you want any advice or hand holding do come over to the tamoxigang thread on here smile

DontWannaBeObamasElf Thu 13-Feb-14 09:09:28

I went to the clinic in January, was little over a month from GP appointment to breast clinic appointment.

Innogen I had my first visit at 18, it is daunting at any age but more so as a teenager.

phlebas Thu 13-Feb-14 12:05:34

Slothlorien, I hope you get your appointments soon, the waiting is awful.
malteserzz thank you smile
ObamasElf hope it went okay for you?

I think the antibiotics are starting to help a bit - it is less sore today (haven't needed to take any pain killers). Still feels really weird, can't really describe how but not at all right.

paddyclampo Thu 13-Feb-14 13:46:53

Not waiting right now but have been where you are SO many times - started when I was 18!

Just wanted to say Phlebas that if you are sore it is less likely to be anything sinister and more likely to be an infection / inflammation of some sort. But far better to be safe than sorry so it's good you have been referred.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Thu 13-Feb-14 14:06:43

Oh yes, sorry should have mentioned that the appointment went fine. Is just a lump, nothing sinister.

Innogen Thu 13-Feb-14 14:28:15

ObamasElf, I'm curious -and worried really.

Since your first problem at 18, has it been a life time of problems?

Innogen Thu 13-Feb-14 14:29:23

Same question to you paddy.

We are sure this isn't too sinister, just lumps to be removed and nothing cancerous.

But I'm terrified that starting so young will mean the process cycles for years. Fine a lump, be terrified, get it removed, wait for the next one hmm

DontWannaBeObamasElf Thu 13-Feb-14 14:34:23

Innogen my first visit at 18 was for a large lump, biopsy came back as normal tissue, was actually a very large but very benign tumour which wasn't diagnosed until I was 20, totally fine, no issues apart from scar tissue. Last month was my first visit since then.

I know lots of people who have gone to the clinic for cysts, glandular and fatty tissue. I don't know anyone personally who has been diagnosed with anything serious.

phlebas Fri 14-Feb-14 13:09:31

I just found out that my paternal aunt had breast cancer when she was in her mid-40s. Previously I thought I had no family history, I'm 39 now. I guess I should pass that on to the GP.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Feb-14 13:18:08

Certainly let them know but please try not to worry.

phlebas Fri 14-Feb-14 14:25:12

they just called with an appointment date - 12 days time (day before my birthday!). DH has booked the day off work & if I can find someone to take my youngest 2 (I'm sure MIL would but I don't want to worry her) he'll come with me.

Thanks Obama ... it's nice to have a bit of virtual moral support!

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Feb-14 14:28:34

I've had great support on MN the past week or so and I've been in your position so I'm more than happy to pay it forward.

I went in, saw the consultant, had an ultrasound then a needle biopsy. There was a bit of sitting around while they looked at it. I was there for about 3-4 hours.

paddyclampo Fri 14-Feb-14 14:54:37

Innogen I can't lie to you, I had lots more lumps - BUT all of them were benign. Mainly fibroadenomas but also cysts. Strangely enough they seemed to disappear when i got pregnant at 28. I never developed another breast lump after that!

Innogen Fri 14-Feb-14 19:09:42

Paddy is okay. It's what we think will happen to my sister. Our aunts have had similar experiences, and my sister already has pcos.

She just seems very cyst-y Iyswim?

MrsBonkers Mon 17-Feb-14 02:59:45

Sorry to hijack, but what happens at the clinic? How invasive is it?
Been putting off going to doctor for a while as I think its just thickening and I have other health issues I want docs to take seriously. Don't want them to think I'm a hypochondriac (sp?)

Innogen Mon 17-Feb-14 04:03:41

I'm not sure because I've never been personally, but you should go. Any changes are taken very seriously and it is better to be safe than sorry, and stuff like this is best caught early.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Mon 17-Feb-14 08:19:49

MrsBonkers You undress your top half and the doctor examines you. If they feel it necessary they will refer you to the breast clinic. It's usually two weeks but longer if the GP is pretty sure it's not sinister. But most are two weeks depending on how busy the clinic is.

When you get there you meet the consultant and he/she asks basic questions and examines again. Depending on your age you will be sent for a mammogram or ultrasound, maybe both and if anything unusual is seen a needle biopsy is taken. That's a bit stingy but not that bad at all.

You'll have your boobs out a lot but you'll be given a gown to protect your modesty.

paddyclampo Mon 17-Feb-14 19:09:36

There'll be a nurse there at all times, and the breast care nurses are lovely people.

MrsBonkers Mon 17-Feb-14 22:07:33

Thanks DontWanna. I have to go to Dr's every couple of months for other things, so I'll mention it next time I'm there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now