Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ear infection: painkillers not working

(7 Posts)
ATacticalNameChange Wed 12-Feb-14 20:03:04

Any advice gratefully recieved.

V painful earache came on middle of last night. Went to walk- in today, they diagnosed otitis externa.

Whatever it is it's so effing painful I have nearly vomited. Ibuprofen not doing much, and am now at my daily limit sad sad Ditto paracetamol.

What do I do until I can go back to GP tomorrow? Am going on a cross Europe rail journey on Saturday with my v young kids and DH. Help!

ATacticalNameChange Wed 12-Feb-14 20:04:50

Shoould've said that walk-in gave me steroid/ antibiotic drops which obv have been using and will continue to do so.

My q really is what can I do for pain relief till tomorrow??

threepiecesuite Wed 12-Feb-14 20:06:53

I had an ear infection 2 weeks ago. Worst pain ever, was crying with it. Got antibiotics and over the counter codeine from Boots.
Hope it hoes before your hols.

ATacticalNameChange Wed 12-Feb-14 20:09:04

Codeine: you are a genius. Thank you. I am not glad you had it, but reassuring to hear I am not a total wimp grin.

missmagnum Wed 12-Feb-14 20:10:29

Try taking decongestants as well, supposed to help clear things.

ATacticalNameChange Wed 12-Feb-14 20:11:56

Ok good idea also. Will dispach DH to late night pharm.

Really Grateful, thanks so much x

ATacticalNameChange Thu 13-Feb-14 09:06:33

Maaaaah, solpadeine no workee. Been vomiting overnight, thank goodness I have a good GP who can fit me in today ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now