Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it possible my mum and DS2 share an extra strong immunity gene?

(13 Posts)
Mojang Wed 12-Feb-14 13:04:08

I know I'm tempting fate and I'm touching all the wood I can find!!

Mum is never ill. For a long time I believed that she was just braver than the rest of us and didn't make a fuss but it's not that, she never gets ill. Not a cold or a stomach bug as long as I can remember.

DS2 doesn't ever seem to get any of the things that go round school. DS1 is very brave when he's ill and doesn't make a fuss but he does get colds etc. and will have a runny nose/cough, the occasional sickness bug. DS2 (10yo) hasn't vomited since he was a tiny baby bringing up milk!

Over the last couple of weeks we've all had miserable colds, except DS2 and DM.

I keep telling my boys about the benefit of a healthy diet to keep them fit and well etc but actually both DS2 and DM are really picky eaters and have terrible diets compared to the rest of us. Maybe that's where we're going wrong!

digerd Wed 12-Feb-14 18:23:08

Myy DM was never ill - never had a cold or cough while all the rest of us had them, except don't remember DB having any.
She was convinced that as she had survived Diptheria as a child the antibodies from that was the rerason.

We all inherit something from our parents both physical and psychological traits.
You could have been a carrier of your DM's super genetic immunity and only DS2 inherited it.

Anatana Wed 12-Feb-14 18:39:22

Yes, totally possible. You could all have the genetic mutation haemochromatosis, frex, which may have protected the Irish from the Black Death.

There are loads of these weird things. Some people just don't get HIV, frex. Wild.

CFSKate Wed 12-Feb-14 19:28:58

I don't see why not (but I have no medical qualifications whatsoever!). I have read on the ME/CFS forums that our Natural Killer Cells are not good, and then later I read about some people whose Natural Killer Cells are too good and it can cause miscarriages. So they have to have them suppressed a bit.

Quangle Wed 12-Feb-14 19:33:43

My dad is like this. Never been I'll in 70 years. The one time he got a bug the moaning was unbelievable. I don't think he realised that most people go through same thing 3 or 4 times a year - or in my case more. I have a shit immune system despite living a life of virtue grin. I've never even had a puff of a cigarette but I get everything and always have.

gingeroots Wed 12-Feb-14 20:33:27

Aren't younger siblings meant to have greater immunity than first or second etc born . Something to do with having being exposed to more bugs .

But feel sure genetics must come into it - mother ,self and son have iron constitutions and rarely catch anything .

And we're all pale with borderline anemia .

Martorana Wed 12-Feb-14 20:37:24

My ds and I are like this- never ever get anything. It's incredibly annoying for everyone who knows us. We're really good in the mornings too. And we are both usually cheerful and stoical in the face of adversity - real silver liner finders. It's a good thing we like each other because everyone else hates us.

PatriciaHolm Wed 12-Feb-14 20:45:40

We're all like this, I'm afraid!
Can't remember last time anyone had time off for illness; I think DDs has 1 day in 4.5 years and DS none in

I do have a ruthless attitude to illness though; a limb has to be hanging off to get a day off here wink

PatriciaHolm Wed 12-Feb-14 20:46:33

LOL Marto, I am the ultimate stoic! Kids more drama llamas though wink

Mojang Wed 12-Feb-14 21:33:46

Ah, that's not the same thing at all Patricia. DS1 is the trouper. He has an absolute stinker of a cold ATM, looks terrible but has never even suggested he should have a day off. Asked for a parecetemol (sp) and off he went.

Mum and DS2 never get ill, they're not being brave, they just don't get ill. I rarely have time off work either but I go in with things my colleagues probably think I shouldn't from time to time.

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Wed 12-Feb-14 21:44:48

I hardly ever get ill. DH and all 3 of my DCs recently got cold like symptoms that just persisted for days. I had a mild headache for about half a day last week. My dad never gets ill either.

PatriciaHolm Thu 13-Feb-14 09:53:44

No, we don't get ill either - I meant they are more drama llamas about injuries, for example DD is currently moaning that I won't tell her teacher that her foot hurts….

None of us ever get bugs/viruses/colds etc. (Have just damned us all to flu there, haven't I)

bruffin Thu 13-Feb-14 10:30:40

I dont think having diptheria gives you good immunity. DHs aunty had it when she was 3 and was left with heart problems all her life. She died of oesophigal cancer which could have been caused by the warfarin she had to take.
Our family hardly evet get vomiting bugs at all but er tend to get coughs and colds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now