Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Immunologist has prescribed sunbeds

(7 Posts)
BigPawsBrown Wed 12-Feb-14 12:08:25

Been having difficulties with immune system and have also been found to have v low vit D (11). The immunologist I saw has prescribed sunbeds once/week and he says the benefit to me outweighs risk of skin cancer. However a close friend of mine has stage 4 melanoma and it's horrible and I am v anxious of using sunbeds.

WWYD?

Matildathecat Wed 12-Feb-14 12:12:14

It will be very carefully managed. They used to do sunned treatment in the nhs physio dept I attended and they were always running in and out and basically looking after the patients very well.

Matildathecat Wed 12-Feb-14 12:12:47

Sunbed not sunned. Autocorrect.

BigPawsBrown Wed 12-Feb-14 12:13:56

Hmm, he has just said to go to a spa!

MorrisZapp Wed 12-Feb-14 12:20:32

A few sessions on a sunbed are unlikely to affect your chances of developing cancer. It's up to you what you feel ok with, but I'd go on and have the treatments.

I used to go on sunbeds a lot, as it was the only thing that eradicated my psoriasis. Now I can afford nice holidays so I don't have to.

I know it's a serious decision, but if he'd suggested you go and lie on a beach in Ibiza nobody would worry about the cancer risk.

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 12-Feb-14 12:27:19

I also used sunbeds 2years ago for very low vit d levels.3min session twice a week fot two weeks then once a week or 10 days for a couple of months. And I red haired and v v pale. Didnt get any tan etc but I felt better after just one session.
Alternatives are medication or trying to expose skin to daylight in this weather!
Dont worry abt a few 3 min sessions. The salon attendant had to look up the price as no one had ever asked for the shortest session, all have 10 to 30 mins several times a week. Now THAT is when you run risk of melanoma imo.

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Wed 12-Feb-14 12:34:10

I am allergic to sunlight so I have a course of phototherapy - ie sunboith sessions - to desensitise me before the summer. Each exposure is less than 1 minute. It is not enough to make me tan (though I freckle a tiny bit). Yes, in theory it increases my risk if skin cancer, but the increase is so small that the benefits outweigh the risks.

I would say go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now