Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does your GP prescribe antibiotics for tonsillitis??

(11 Posts)
friendlymum67 Wed 12-Feb-14 09:02:24

Our practice will not prescribe them, no matter how poorly you are. The thinking being that it maybe viral, in which case antibiotics won't help. I completely understand that but when its a child that's suffering and very rarely at the doctors, I don't understand why they won't?!

ASmidgeofMidge Wed 12-Feb-14 10:37:44

As you say, it might be a viral bug so no benefit in ABs. I guess it's also because overuse has a wider impact; strains of bacteria which are becoming increasingly resistant to ABs. It may also be because ABs aren't shown to shorten the length of the illness by much? ABs have side-effects which can cause probs in themselves for example upset tummies. Your docs may have done a simple cost/benefit analysis re tonsillitis.

Chimpola Wed 12-Feb-14 12:54:05

Yes dd was prescribed it the other day without me even asking. I'd hate to give her anti biotics unnecessarily but her temperature was approaching 41 and calpol wasn't touching it & nurofen was bringing it down to about 39 for 3 hours then wore off, so I just took it!
She was loads better after just 2 doses so am guessing it was bacterial but who knows..

jennifleurs Wed 12-Feb-14 12:58:14

Mine does sometimes for me, but I've had tonsillitis a lot. I've asked if I can have them taken out but they said no.

IndigoBarbie Wed 12-Feb-14 12:58:47

If there are visible white spots/pus at the tonsil/throat area, then yes.

wfrances Wed 12-Feb-14 13:04:58

same as indigobarbie.

IndigoBarbie Wed 12-Feb-14 21:14:20

you could gargle with some sea salt water, with a drop of tea tree oil in it. It does help to relieve some of the pain, but if you are fevering on top of all the soreness, it is horrible. I have suffered tonsillitis a lot in my life. Had a period of several years without it - but now DS at nursery, he's picking it up and I seem to be absorbing it from him. sad Not fun. You have my sympathies.

Musicaltheatremum Wed 12-Feb-14 21:38:15

There are the centaur criteria to judge if it is more likely to be bacterial.
If you have high temperature, spots on tonsils, tender glands then more likely to be bacterial. I also think if the swallowing is more of an ache than scratchy then more likely to be bacterial. If your temperature is under 38 it is unlikely to be bacterial.

idlevice Wed 12-Feb-14 21:42:19

You could ask for a swab to be taken to confirm if it was bacterial but I wouldn't expect them to be compliant as it would cost money.

Straitjacket Thu 13-Feb-14 01:46:49

Yes, both myself and DS got ABs the other week for tonsillitis but we were told we had it bad, and we were both vomiting, non-stop coughing, could barely talk never mind swallow and had fevers. We both improved after the first day of taking them so must of been a bacterial infection.

friendlymum67 Thu 13-Feb-14 18:23:51

Thanks for replies. DD is quite poorly with it, temperature, very sore throat, hard to swallow. We are due to go away on Sunday so, needless to say I am somewhat on edge!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now