Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any IBS sufferers here?

(16 Posts)
jennyfin Tue 11-Feb-14 21:41:00

Hi all,

I was 'diagnosed' with IBS a couple of years ago, had the prescription tablets but now just buy over the counter stuff from supermarkets etc. I don't have to use them everyday, but when I do.. I couldn't be without them - I put my IBS down to stress and this is when it really flares up.

If i'm completely honest, I think that I have something other than IBS. I have never believed that the pain and discomfort I can sometimes be in is just down to this.. and that there isn't really anything that can be done about it. Is this normal? Do other people feel like this? Am I just a worrier?

Please make me feel normal!

Justgotosleepnow Tue 11-Feb-14 21:48:35

IBS can be caused by what you eat, as well as stress. Get yourself to a nutritionist or medical herbalist (not Chinese medicine) they will take a history & diagnose what's going on.

Icantstopeatinglol Wed 12-Feb-14 00:10:41

Hi jenny, I was diagnosed with ibs years ago but it's recently raised it's ugly head so I've removed gluten from my diet and I feel loads better! No bloating, no stuffed feeling!
Everyone's different but might be worth a try?

GobblersKnob Wed 12-Feb-14 08:40:23

Another one who suffered for years and years, changed my diet to low carb and gave up wheat and I haven't had a bout for over eight months, definitely worth trying. Agree that the pain can be so awful that it is hard to believe it is 'just' ibs.

Bunbaker Wed 12-Feb-14 08:45:00

Quite often the OTC drugs aren't as strong as prescription ones. Also you don't get as many in a packet so prescription drugs could work out cheaper.

I have discovered by trial and error that it is lactose that causes my problems. I am not completely lactose intolerant, but since switching to Lactofree milk the difference has been very apparent. I am still OK with butter and cheese, but ordinary milk seems to trigger off diarrhoea. Cream is even worse and I avoid it like the plague.

somedizzywhore1804 Wed 12-Feb-14 08:48:16

I was convinced for about 7 years that I had bowel cancer or something else terrifying but it really was "just" IBS. Mine calmed down a lot when I left my hugely stressful workplace. For me it was 100% stress. Still get the odd flare up but not as bad.

kazzawazzawoo Wed 12-Feb-14 23:42:18

Another IBS sufferer here too, I also removed gluten, in fact most carbs and most dairy from my diet, it has made a huge difference. I rarely have a problem these days.

Basketofchocolate Thu 13-Feb-14 12:42:41

Same here. Grumbling IBS probs for years but cutting out wheat (not all gluten) and all dairy made the world of difference. However, stress still plays a major part for me.

A dietician also directed me to FODMAPS, which I don't follow strictly, but if I am having a stressy week, I do try to avoid things on the list that are likely to give me indigestion.

RawCoconutMacaroon Thu 13-Feb-14 13:21:51

I had 20+ years of ibs (diagnosed when I was 20... It's gone now (along with a host of other related issues I developed over the years.

For me, the cure has been a grain free (and therefore gluten and wheat free) Paleo diet.

I strongly recommend reading Marks Daily Apple blog and trying a grain free diet for a month or two (something like whole30). Either this will help you, or it won't smile, but it's worth a try right?

HugAndRoll Thu 13-Feb-14 13:28:22

Just to let you now, my ibs is now probable coeliac disease (positive blood test, waiting for biopsy appointment). If you want to be tested for coeliac you have to keep eating gluten or you can get a false negative.

I'm looking forward to being able to give it up though. Even when I feel "ok" my stomach is tight and fairly sore. I thought that was normal and only went to the dr because I'm exhausted all the time.

Proudmummytodc2 Thu 13-Feb-14 14:01:54

I used to have Ibs was diagnosed when I was 7 I suffered for years even got referred to a nutritionist ect with GP nothing helped eventually got referred to hospital and got diagnosed with Ibd still nothing helped im now 23 as of a week ago and I've now been told possible Crohn's disease I've been through countless tests for the last few years and it's a total nightmare I'm in countless pills a day and I still struggle so end of the story sorry maybe double check with your GP that you Ibs has not progressed sympathise with u

Proudmummytodc2 Thu 13-Feb-14 14:02:33

Sorry for any spelling mistakes I may have mad this phone has a mind of its own

RnB Thu 13-Feb-14 14:04:19

going gluten free definitely helps me. I've also heard that drinking Aloe Vera juice is also excellent. You have my sympathies - IBS truly sucks. I have been doubled over in pain for hours with it.

neolara Thu 13-Feb-14 14:04:54

I have no idea if I have IBS but I was very bloated and in a lot of pain virtually every day for a couple of months. I now avoid wheat and it is immeasurably better.

jennyfin Wed 05-Mar-14 21:58:00

Hi everyone, thanks for all your comments!

I have been keeping a food diary but nothing seems to be adding up. Suppose I just need to keep at it. I will definitely look into all of the above.

I do sometimes worry about Crohns or something similar - but then again I worry about nearly all sorts haha!

Thanks again smile

Meglet Wed 05-Mar-14 22:13:26

jenny I've had to cut out wheat, and almost gluten, and it took the best part of a month to show any real difference.

I'd tried wheat free in the past but given up when I didn't notice any difference after a week.

For years I thought something was wrong, at best coeliac, at worst some God awful tumor blocking my insides. The hospital have checked everything and my digestive system is fine. So I knew it was something I was eating. It just takes ages to get to the bottom of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now