Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long does sinusitis last?

(5 Posts)
CrazyOldCatLady Tue 11-Feb-14 12:44:11

I've had it for two weeks now. For the first week I had severe pain in my head, sinuses, eyes, ears and teeth. This week the pain isn't as bad but there's still a feeling of pressure. My right cheek has gone slightly numb from my lip to my eye, and I'm lightheaded and getting flu-like pains in random places around my body. Plus in the last couple of hours my eyes have started to hurt again and I'm finding it a bit uncomfortable to read the screen. Plus my tummy's a bit off, but I think that's the antibiotics; DH was on the same one before and found it very hard on his tummy too.

I'm on antibiotics, antihistames, a steroid nasal spray and I'm using a sinus rinse, but I still feel like crap - just not the same way as I did last week.

Does it normally last this long? I'm starting to think people must think I'm milking it a bit but I'm really not.

CaptainCunt Tue 11-Feb-14 12:47:03

Three weeks and counting, though some of it was flu. NHS site says decongestant, sinus rinse and steroid spray. And possibly antibiotics. I'm trying saline and occasional decongestant.

BrainSurgeon Tue 11-Feb-14 12:50:05

It can last weeks but yours sounds really bad... Are the antibiotics strong enough? One of the worst things that can happen is to get complications due to an ineffective antibiotic, so I would check with your doctor if you're not seeing an improvement or if it's getting worse (which seems to be your case)

BlackeyedPetitsPois Tue 11-Feb-14 14:45:21

2 weeks so far for me. Can't have antibiotics or decongestants either as I'm 10 weeks pg. I feel bloody shite. All I can do (according to GP and boots pharmacist) is steam inhalation. Not even allowed olbas oil as anything with menthol in is a no no (raises BP apparently).

Anyway, doc told me it should settle down within 3-4 weeks. Here's hoping!

Hope you feel better soon Crazy and Captain x

CaptainCunt Tue 11-Feb-14 18:59:31

Ugh getting ill when you're pg and can't take anything is miserable, I feel for you! If it was me I think id risk the olbas oil inhaling. Should probably also take a pg test before I take any more decongestant o_O

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now