Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Where to go with this injury....gp or a&e?

(6 Posts)
Shamoy Sun 09-Feb-14 19:32:53

My 6 year old injured his foot maybe 2 years ago. It was swollen and he was limping. I took him to a&e, they said to keep an eye and to come back if still causing problems in a couple of weeks. I did as he was still limping. I'm pretty sure they x rayed it and no broken bones.
Anyway the same foot, same place, periodically causes him pain which tends to last a week or so over the last couple of years.
Two weeks ago he hurt it again, just during general playing, no actual injury/accident. Two weeks on and it's still painful, he's limping and he doesn't want to do his gymnastics class tomorrow for the second week in a row even though he usually loves it as he says it will hurt too much.
I feel I need to get it checked again somewhere. Will the gp be any use in this situation or is it an x ray he will need and go to a&e? Or is there something opinion between, some way I can get an appointment direct with hospital? There is no minor injuries unit near us at all.
Thanks

poopooheadwillyfatface Sun 09-Feb-14 19:35:49

gp.
its a recurrent problem. The gp can request an xray if it's needed. but it's not an emergency or a new accident.

LovelyBath Sun 09-Feb-14 20:45:12

I would ask the GP to write you a letter for urgent treatment to take to the hospital- same day if necessary.

TelephoneTree Sun 09-Feb-14 21:19:02

Can you take him to an osteopath to have it assessed? They will also know whether he needs to be seen by a medic...

ALovelyBunch0fCoconuts Sun 09-Feb-14 21:30:42

to the gp. they will refer for xray. maybe refer to orthopaedic consultant if the xray shows no bony issues

Shamoy Mon 10-Feb-14 07:35:02

Thank you, that's helpful. I will make a gp appt today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now