Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fissure hell :(

(9 Posts)
JohnSnowsTie Sun 09-Feb-14 15:17:43

Sorry for the melodramatic header - I'm convinced that one day I'll look back and laugh but at the moment I just want to cry!

DC3 is 9 weeks old and in the past couple of weeks I've developed a fissure. Doc has checked and prescribed Xyloproct as well as advised on drinking Fybogel twice a day. Stools seem softer but still very firm and the pain is verging on unbearable. Honestly, my last two births were easier than every poo I've had in the past fortnight! The Xyloproct I think is something I need to apply just before a movement but they tend to come on suddenly so I don't get to use it. I think the anxiety that accompanies the need to go unhelpfully pushes things along!

Not really sure what I'm asking but I just needed to vent I suppose - any words of experience or wisdom?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 09-Feb-14 15:27:41

Try and squat when you poo, on toilet seat if poss, if not put your feet up on a step.

Blow raspberries while you poo, it will stop you tensing up.

Support yourself with a wodge of toilet paper.

Anusol (unless interferes with your prescribed meds)

graciesmall09 Sun 09-Feb-14 16:17:01

My heart goes out to you as I had this caused by chemotherapy and it really was the worst pain I have ever experienced. Xyloproct did nothing for me. Ask for Rectogesic. It does cause a headache but take couple of paracetamol about half hour before. It was the only thing that worked for me. I was told not to take Fybogel but to take daily Movicol as well as Lactulose. I know it doesn't feel like it but it does get better but it takes a while.

JohnSnowsTie Sun 09-Feb-14 17:09:58

Thanks folks - I'd read somewhere about the raspberry thing! Will give it a try.

gracie I can't really complain given that mine was caused by childbirth/post birth effects. I hope your chemo was a success. thanks

The doctor said there was something else she'd prescribe if I wasn't breastfeeding - didn't say what it was, but I'm assuming it would have a better effect! I just don't see how they can ever heal though with daily bowel movements.

Meglet Sun 09-Feb-14 17:16:06

I used to get them when my IBS was really bad. They are truly evil things sad. ((hugs))

They can prescribe a stool softener (movicol) instead of lactulose. When I was given lactulose it made my fissures even worse, I refused to bf with after my second baby unless they prescribed movicol. The GP was quite funny, he said it could hardly make a babies poo any runnier so he'd happily write a prescription for me.

I did have to cut back on food to heal them though. Now my IBS is under control (wheat intolerance) they've stopped.

Elderberri Mon 10-Feb-14 00:03:48

I had one after preg, the do take time to heal.

I know this is unorthodox but I used to find a pre emptive swish round the ring of fire with sudo crem before BM eased it out and sort of stopped the fissure from ripping open.

Sudo crem says not for internal, but hey it's my go to for fissure and piles, just make sure you don't double dip with the same finger.

Nasty.

Hubb Mon 10-Feb-14 12:03:13

I had one recently too, developed 6 weeks after giving birth.

Didn't go to the doctors was too embarrassed sad but self diagnosed with a mirror! What seems to be working for me is leaning as far forward as possible when on the toilet and keeping stools soft as possible (fibogel did nothing for me but green tea, decaf as im bf, and prune juice worked fast, also bran flakes, brown bread and pasta and dried apricots).

Also used sudocrem on the area when felt it burning.

Even when my stools were very soft it came back and I was devastated, but only for a few days and now its feeling ok again.

My diet has resulted in lots of farting though and I often have to run to the toilet but I much rather this than the pain.

Marrow Mon 10-Feb-14 12:51:43

I really sympathise. I developed a fissure after having DD (forceps delivery) and they were a miserable few weeks.

You need to ask your GP to prescribe the delightfully named Anoheal cream (diltiazem cream) It doesn't cause the headaches that GTN cream can. I think it is expensive so they don't like to prescribe it but I would be persistent. It is also safe to use when breast feeding.

As other posters have said you need to be drinking lots of fluids and eating plenty of fruit and veg. I would also take lactulose and movicol which are gentle but will keep things soft. Putting your feet on a stool when you are trying to go to the toilet will also help.

Just hang on to the thought that it is not going to feel like this all the time and it WILL get better.

princessalbert Mon 10-Feb-14 18:14:53

Oh yes, very painful indeed.
I had one last year- along with piles and all sorts.
But the fissure was the worst thing I have ever experienced. It would hurt for a couple of hours afterwards - and all I could do was go and lie down.

I have a healthy diet anyway - but made a point of upping the fruit and veg quite a lot. Also drinking less alcohol and significantly more water. A few days of quite runny poos gave the fissure a chance to heal up.

Strangely enough - one of the things that helped was that we were away on holiday. The toilet was really high up - so I was seated differently. I think it put less pressure on the split area.

Hope you can sort it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now