Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dry cracked hands

(11 Posts)
Mitsi10 Sun 09-Feb-14 12:28:42

I have dermatitis hasn't been as bad as it was when I was at school etc seems to be when the cold weather comes in and my hands are in and out of water(dishes plus I'm a cleaner) have been putting cream on right hand ( the worse one) doesn't look as bad but still cracked on fingers

Reason I'm asking is does hot water make the cracks in my skin nippy? As washing giving my DD a shower last night and after about 10 mins I felt a nip I panicked thinking I had a shock from the shower but I've just done the breakfast dishes and felt wee nippy bits on my hand like I did last night

AmIatwat Sun 09-Feb-14 13:55:37

I used to have this condition. My hands bled all the time in the winter. The skin was like silver scales.
You must get some double base from docs, put cotton gloves on. Never wash up /clean without wearing rubber gloves. Once the skin has thoroughly healed you'll find outbreaks less frequent.
Honestly this works. Normal hand cream made my skin worse, I' used to cry sometimes my hands were so sore.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sun 09-Feb-14 14:06:29

Also recommend Lotil, I used to get keens? (Deep splitty fissures) on my fingers. A week all gone.

RitaFajita Sun 09-Feb-14 19:15:54

Try Flexitol hand cream from boots sorts out my cracked hands brilliantly.

Waswondering Sun 09-Feb-14 19:29:12

Watching .... Have dermatitis on right hand ring finger (since Nov, seems so petty to go to gp about!), and it's driving me nuts. Diprobase, e45 with hydrocortisone and alternatively plain olive oil, not working. Am sleeping in cotton glove too.

Watching for suggestions before I claw my finger off

Mitsi10 Sun 09-Feb-14 19:46:13

Mine comes and goes had since I was a teenager only ever affected left hand now it's more my right
Worse in the winter months this time it's really bad I've been putting cream (sodocream) on my hand at night seems to be helping slowly though always got a bottle of hand cream on me now as well

AmIatwat Sun 09-Feb-14 20:23:46

It's about braking the cycle. Use sudecream whatever until you are completely healed. My hands were as state for 20 plus years until I took action and used double base /gloves religiously until my hands were healed. I get no problems at all now.

Chocolateteabag Sun 09-Feb-14 22:32:51

I have Pomphlox eczema on my hands (little bubbles under the skin which itch and burst when I scratch them )
I have Betnovate to apply when not likely to touch DC's soon after. I also have an emergency tube of Vagisil which has lidocaine in it and helps break the scratch cycle when all I want to do is Brillo pad my hands.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Sun 09-Feb-14 22:38:03

Another vote for Lotil - it's sorted out my hands. Water makes them bad, so I keep several pots around and a tube in my handbag so I can apply regularly.

piklepants Tue 11-Feb-14 08:20:56

I get exactly same sometimes. I find washing powders can make it much worse and obviously handling the washing. Daz especially cheap and nasty so use gloves wen handling yet washing if u are having outbreak. I use latex free gloves wen mine was bad not been so bad for a while but stress related too

Caterina99 Sun 16-Feb-14 05:59:32

I have eczema. If you want to help your hands then you have to always wear gloves when washing up or cleaning, make sure you thoroughly dry hands every single time they get wet and then slather on moisturizer, use moisturizer as much as possible throughout the day, and get some cotton gloves and wear them in bed with loads of moisturizer underneath.

Once they have healed then you can ease off the regime a bit, but still apply the cream after getting hands wet and wear gloves for washing up and cleaning if you can.

And yes hot water will sting if your skin is dry and sore!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now