Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Biocard celiac test.

(7 Posts)
hashtagwhatever Fri 07-Feb-14 22:58:21

Hi all,

i have hashimoto thyroiditis but many other symptoms that contradict/don't fit the diagnosis. After reading alot online about the link between autoimmune thyroid issues and celiac disease i brought a home testing kit. Which in fact i got a positive result from.

i will obviously go to the gp to see what next. I just wanted to ask here how reliable are the home testing kits does anybody know please? And also is there any other causes of a positive test result.

many thanks in advance.

embouchure Sat 08-Feb-14 07:38:14

We used one of these on ds2 and it was positive. He then had a coeliac test at the hospital and that was negative! He is, however, on a gluten free diet as the difference is amazing. He had been gf for 3 years before the test - obviously put him back on wheat for the test - so we already knew that it was doing bad things to him.

Personally I think ds2 is coeliac. Dh is also gf, no official test he just decided to try it and again has made a life changing difference to him.

So I've no idea how reliable it is - sorry! I'd go to your gp though.

candycoatedwaterdrops Sat 08-Feb-14 09:40:01

They're not very reliable, the most accurate way is to have a biopsy.

wishicouldstopworrying Sat 08-Feb-14 10:25:32

candy how do you know they're not reliable?

candycoatedwaterdrops Sat 08-Feb-14 17:08:55

I saw a gastroenterologist who said that bloods tests for coeliac are notoriously unreliable.

candycoatedwaterdrops Sat 08-Feb-14 17:09:23

(He's a professor of a huge London hosp, so pretty 'in the know')

wishicouldstopworrying Sun 09-Feb-14 09:59:33

Ok thanks. It's a shame though, we had a negative for DS and I was hoping it was right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now