Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nhs online symptom checker has told me to call an ambulance

(17 Posts)
sublimecorpse Fri 07-Feb-14 22:50:16

Which is utterly ridiculous!

It's because I selected "change in sensation/cold to touch" option.

I have pain and swelling on the outside of my right ankle. Swelling is mild. Pain is moderate and puts me through the roof when I bend my ankle out wards so that the sole of my right foot touched the inside of my left ankle.

No injury.

My toes feel cold and tingly and earlier I could feel my heartbeat in my ankle if that makes sense?

I'm neither accident nor emergency, nor do I require an ambulance grin

In view of the symptoms though, would you leave it and see how it is next week or get an OOH appointment and potentially waste an appointment that someone more needy could have?

missmagnum Fri 07-Feb-14 22:55:32

I have had the call an ambulance a number of times but haven't. If in doubt I tend to phone 111 and let them make the call Over what to do. In my experiences they have been quite sensible, whether a&e is required, ooh or gp.

Permanentlyexhausted Fri 07-Feb-14 22:57:51

What did you do that caused the pain/swelling?

livelablove Fri 07-Feb-14 23:00:38

Yes I agree that 111 is very helpful. Even though just moaned on another thread that when they arranged an ooh visit by a dr for me the dr took all night to come. But this was because the dr was busy, not fault of 111 people.

youbethemummylion Fri 07-Feb-14 23:04:18

It says ring an ambulance as it thinks you have no/limited blood supply to your foot due to an ankle injury which would need immediate attention.

What did you do to cause this? Can you still feel pulse? Do you still think the blood is flowing to your foot?

sublimecorpse Fri 07-Feb-14 23:11:22

I haven't done anything! Not twisted it or anything like that.

The pain started yesterday is slightly worse today, and I have a funny sensation in four toes, not the big toe.

It's kind of a cold sensation kind of like pins and needles wearing off.

My outer ankle bone is swollen and the top of my foot directly in front if my ankle bone is a bit puffy. No hear or redness. It did feel like it was catching earlier.

It's a mystery.

livelablove Fri 07-Feb-14 23:14:50

sublime didn't you hurt your back recently, I remember you were on the back pain thread. Could this be related? I have sciatica and it gives me a numb foot and tingles.

sublimecorpse Fri 07-Feb-14 23:15:38

Yes I did! I didn't think to connect it!

youbethemummylion Fri 07-Feb-14 23:15:45

I think an ambulance sounds a bit extreme but agree 111 might be best option as seems odd thing to happen just all by itself.

Ledkr Fri 07-Feb-14 23:16:42

I'd be concerned about a blood clot tbh. Id see ooh tomorrow.

MrsBungle Fri 07-Feb-14 23:18:30

Call 111. I'd be concerned about a blood clot. My friends started with unexplained swelling.

LEMmingaround Fri 07-Feb-14 23:21:59

Sounds like a sprain or a break - id do ooh tomorrow i think, do you have a walk in minor injuries, first thing in the morning, go along, ours has x ray.

livelablove Fri 07-Feb-14 23:24:06

I remembered your unusual nickname! How is your back now?

eatmydust Fri 07-Feb-14 23:34:50

The symptom checker will be considering the possibility it is thrombosis, because you haven't had any injury which would explain it. You should at least call 111 and have a conversation with them to check it out.

missmagnum Sat 08-Feb-14 17:09:33

How are you now, has anyone seen it yet op?

sublimecorpse Sun 09-Feb-14 14:09:42

Hi, thanks for all the advice. Ankle is fine now, how bizarre?!

I have no idea what the was all about.

I'm going to the drs tomorrow about awful back pain and as someone up thread mentioned it could be linked I will mention it then.

Thanks again all thanks

17leftfeet Sun 09-Feb-14 14:18:54

I get ankle pain due to my back -total mystery the first time as I didn't link the 2, thought if it was my back it would hurt all the way down my leg

The ankle pain can be worse than the back pain sometimes

Bending forwards and curving my back towards the ceiling helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now