Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Talk to me about alternatives to appendicitis please?

(16 Posts)
EternallyJuggling Fri 07-Feb-14 11:44:01

Have a pain (5-6 on a scale of 10, with occasional spasms up to 7) on my lower right side.

Been to the GP who is 50-50 on what it might be - appendicitis being one of the options.

As I've a 3 year old, I've been sent home to self monitor (nausea, temperature etc) with instructions to go back in if it gets worse. Liquid diet and regular paracetamol. I'm fine with this as I don't see the point in taking up a hospital bed if it's not warranted.

However, they didn't suggest what else it could be - and I'm trying not to google.

So... any ideas?

LovelyBath Fri 07-Feb-14 11:55:15

It could be a gynae issue perhaps a cyst or inflammaion on the right ovary...

EternallyJuggling Fri 07-Feb-14 13:05:25

Whatever the hell it is, it's fecking painful!

No temperature/vomiting so I can't see it's my appendix <crosses fingers and prays> but I do want the pain to stop sad

chocladoodle Fri 07-Feb-14 13:06:06

Ovarian cyst?
I spent a lot of time on google last 24 hrs re appendicitis and this came up a few times.

Is there any chance at all you could be pregnant? It could be an ectopic pregnancy.

Untreated ectopics are very very dangerous. So if there's any chance of this being it, you need to be seen urgently.

Hope you feel better soon.

EternallyJuggling Fri 07-Feb-14 13:26:48

Not pregnant, I'm just finishing my period and the last month has been a bit erm... hectic so no!

Maybe a cyst... I'll google.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 07-Feb-14 14:02:28

Does the pain get worse up to and including menses?
Is the pain cyclical in nature?

Endometriosis cannot be ruled out if its "yes" to the above questions.

Would suggest you keep a daily pain and symptom diary too.

FabULouse Fri 07-Feb-14 14:17:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

EternallyJuggling Fri 07-Feb-14 17:53:31

Yes. I get it at the start of my period, but I had a scan about a year ago to check for fibroids and I was clear and healthy - but that's not to say it's not developed.

Diverticulitis could also be a possible cause; although it's all the right side.

All the options are possible, so I think if it doesn't shift by Monday I'll be back at the GP asking politely but firmly for a referral for a scan.

sofahogger Fri 07-Feb-14 17:58:41

Could be an abscess.

I didn't have nausea or vomiting with my appendicitis.. just pain. Hence it took them a week to decide to have a look... and then it was whipped out pronto!

I also thought it was probably a cyst but the pain just got worse. Do go back if it doesn't settle soon.

Rooners Fri 07-Feb-14 18:31:56

If you press on it, does it hurt more when you are pressing, or when you lift your fingers off?

EternallyJuggling Fri 07-Feb-14 18:42:20

I've just prodded and erm, it hurts just the same?

To be fair, the GP was inclining to appendicitis but accepted I could monitor from home as all they'd do in the hospital would be stick me in bed and leave me there.

Looks like a slightly sore weekend and then back to GP on Monday.

I do have a lot of gurgles, but I haven eaten since lunchtime yesterday.

On the upside, I've sorted out childcare for the next few weeks if I do need it!

Rooners Fri 07-Feb-14 18:48:00

It's called rebound tenderness. If it hurts worse when you release the pressure, it's likely to be appendicitis. Apparently. I am not a doctor!

So if it hurts the same maybe that means something.

If you get any worsening then please head STRAIGHT to A&E as a ruptured appendix can kill you. And however good your childcare, you don't want to have to make use of it for a week when you could be out in a couple of days with prompt care.

Finabhear Fri 07-Feb-14 18:53:36

I took DS to A&E last week thinking he had appendicitis. Two hours, blood tests and an abdominal x ray later and he was discharged with suspected constipation.blush

EternallyJuggling Fri 07-Feb-14 20:20:17

Believe me, I'm a wuss when it comes to pain. Any worse and I will indeed be heading to OOH / A&E.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now