Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Frequent periods (TMI)

(20 Posts)
CouthyMow Thu 06-Feb-14 00:49:40

For the last 6 months, I have had periods every 2-3 weeks. Heavy, painful periods. I've always been quite heavy, and had quite a bit of pain, but it's really OTT now. I'm on cocodamol and naproxen for my arthritis, and when my dose for that wears off and I'm having period pains, I'm in agony.

April last year, I had LLETZ to get rid of precancerous and early cancerous cells on my cervix.

My periods were normal after, until the end of July/start of August, when I started having two a month.

I had another smear in October last year, as a follow up to the LLETZ. Came back totally clear.

GP took bloods last month, to check out. As I'm permanently exhausted, and my arthritis (pre-existing, started before the original dodgy smear test) has worsened too.

Iron normal, blood sugar normal, thyroid right at the bottom of normal range, still waiting on thyroid antibodies. Liver function normal.

WHY am I having two periods every month?

I'm also blush starting to grow thick, black hairs on my chin. I pluck them away, but two weeks later, the day before my next period starts, there's more than the time before. I'm going to end up in a circus as a bearded lady within 3 months!

Then there's the fact that my PMS has got murderous far worse, and it's always been bad.

And every fortnight, just before I come on, I'm getting loads of spots on my chin. <<wails>> I didn't even get spots as a teenager.

I'm 32, my family all have fairly late menopauses (50 is the earliest, my Nan went through the menopause at 64). I'm not on any hormonal contraception, and haven't been for over 5 years, as I don't get on with it (makes me fat, spotty, with boobs like fiery cement so I can't even put my arms by my side, with permanent eeeevil PMS, and depressed too. Tried 3 different combined pills, mini pill, Depo injection, implant AND Mirena coil over the years. Gave up in disgust).

Haven't had sex in 3 months, haven't had sex without a condom in almost 3 years. Most definitely not pg.

WTF is the matter with me?

I'm done having DC's anyway, I'm at the point where I just want the whole lot ripped out and fuckingbpickled in a jar if it stops me bleeding anyway.

CouthyMow Thu 06-Feb-14 02:59:03

Anyone? I'm desperate. My GP can only suggest having yet another look up my chuff.

I can't see that there's going to be anything different, as my smear test in October came back clear, and I test negative for HPV.

Though I may have scared myself a bit silly by consulting Dr Google, who seems to think that it can be a symptom of cervical cancer. This time would be radiotherapy if it is. Trying not to think about it, especially as I'm continuously extremely fatigued too-

I'm booking an appointment for yet another fanny prod tomorrow, but what else could it be?

Blueuggboots Thu 06-Feb-14 03:17:27

Has anybody checked your hormones? Or have you had a pelvic ultrasound to check for cysts?

CouthyMow Thu 06-Feb-14 07:15:35

Nope. GP says they don't check for hormonal issues, just advised I yo on the pill or have the Mirena. My periods get heavier on both, and I have the other issues I've mentioned as well.

GP seems to think only a smear is necessary, despite my completely clear smear test result in October.

So no pelvic scan offered.

CouthyMow Thu 06-Feb-14 07:16:11

Private not an option due to funds.

LegoCaltrops Thu 06-Feb-14 07:19:34

Can you see a different doctor, get a second opinion?

CouthyMow Thu 06-Feb-14 07:35:03

Could try. Depends when the appointments are available really. I'm going to try to get an appointment with the lady GP that is there once a fortnight. Has to be when I'm NOT bleeding though, in case they need to have a gander or do another smear. And as I'm bleeding every two weeks, FOR a full week (periods only used to be 5 days), it's not entirely easy to book around them!

Isn't there something I can take for the cramps, pain and heavy bleeding? Tranexamic acid or something? Can I get that OTC or do I need a prescription? I'm desperate today...

CouthyMow Thu 06-Feb-14 07:35:58

I'm literally bleeding for a week, premenstrual for a week, bleeding for a week, premenstrual for a week...for SIX MONTHS...

CouthyMow Thu 06-Feb-14 07:38:22

And going onto hormonal contraception isn't going to sort out the actual CAUSE of why I'm bleeding so much. Not that that would stop me anyway - I've fallen pg (though had multiple MC's as well as my 4 DC's) on EVERY hormonal contraception I've been on. Even the Mirena. Still had heavy periods too.

GingerRodgers Thu 06-Feb-14 07:48:04

You need to see another gp.
You can get t.acid over the counter.
Go and see the female gp as soon as possible and tell her everything you've said her. This is not right and needs sorting. Explain the problems getting an app when not bleeding. Push for referal.
Sorry you're feeling so crap. Hope you get something sorted and soon.

CouthyMow Thu 06-Feb-14 07:55:08

Glad I can get that OTC. A visit yo Boots is in order on the way home from the school run!!

CouthyMow Thu 06-Feb-14 07:55:42

(Important appointment this morning!)

DreamRabbit Thu 06-Feb-14 10:09:09

It constantly amazes me what some GPs expect us women to put up with. Please go back to the gp and insist on a referral to a gynaecologist at your local hospital - two painful, heavy periods a month is not normal, and not something you should have to put up with! I expect the gynae will start with an ultrasound scan - you may have cysts, or fibroids, or endometriosis, or similar. (For what it's worth, my heavy periods got heavier and came every 2-3 weeks rather 4, and I was diagnosed with fibroids.)

In the meantime, the doctor should be able to prescribe a combination of tranexamic acid and mefenamic acid - both of which help with bleeding to some extent, and the mefenamic is also a painkiller. You can get the tranexamic over the counter, as Ginger says, but it is a lot more expensive than getting it on prescription.

IamInvisible Thu 06-Feb-14 10:29:14

If you are sure you are done with having DC, I would recommend an endometrial ablation.

I had heavy periods for years. I put up with it until I became quite anaemic. My GP knew hormonal contraception didn't suit me so sent me to the Gynaecologist for an ablation, but they bullied me into a Mirena. It was the work of the fucking devil, so after 8 months I had the fecker out.

When they took it out I didn't stop bleeding so my GP sent me to another hospital as an emergency. They gave me drugs to stop the bleeding, I was so anaemic I needed a transfusion and they gave me the option of an endometrial ablation or a hysterectomy.

As I was 37 at the time I went for the ablation. I went into hospital in the morning and was home by tea time. It was the best thing I have ever done. At first the periods I had were so light, I only needed a panty liner and they lasted about 3 days. Now, 6 years on, they are heavier and more painful and longer, but nothing like they were. I can still leave the house and am not panicking about flooding, or having to sleep on a towel. In your shoes I would definitely enquire about it.

CouthyMow Thu 06-Feb-14 11:41:56

Went to Boots - they don't sell tranexamic acid over the counter. Gave up as I had important appointment this morning, took my arthritis meds (had held off in case I was able to get T.acid), 500mg naproxen and 2 prescription strength (30/500) cocodamol. I was STILL in pain.

I am going to book an appointment for tomorrow - though the chemist in Boots after hearing who my GP was has suggested going to the walk in centre. Which I may do, but can't until tomorrow afternoon.

The chemist suggested taking iron tablets - I'm taking Spatone daily. She then said I'm doing, and taking, everything that I possibly can.

Definitely done with DC's. NOT having another Mirena and I don't care HOW much that one is pushed at me.

FreddieStarrAteMyHamster Thu 06-Feb-14 11:46:52

You need a transvaginal ultrasound in the first instance and should be referred to a gynaecologist. Go back and see your GP who should arrange all this.

CouthyMow Thu 06-Feb-14 11:50:15

Ok, so see GP, ask for tranexamic acid, and insist on referral to gynae.

FishfingersAreOK Thu 06-Feb-14 12:03:09

Absolutely get referral. I did and if nothing else was a relief after scan/MRI to know that nothing serious/untoward going on.

Also after DS I started having very heavy, more frequent periods. Mirena was the devil, mini pill awful then contraceptive (Cilest) started to regulate it. Still a week long and one day very heavy but a lot better.

So dealable with.

About 9 months ago my thyroid level (always on the border line) dropped and started on thyroxine. Turns out I am super-sensitive to thyroxine - so just a 25mg change in dose can have quite dramatic effects. Anyhooo...one of the (many) wonderful benefits of having now be prescribed the thyroxine is my periods are now much, much lighter. One heavyish day (but no where near the old flooding days) and the rest negligible. Not spotting.

Seriously - referally a must. And also if your thyroid is playing up push to get this checked again - especially if you have any of the other symptoms of low thyroid.

CorporeSarnie Thu 06-Feb-14 12:16:08

I have had a similar issue, but not quite as severe. Acne, hairy chin (and thighs, gah), spotting before periods, which are about every 23-26 days, so not as often but still means I'm bleeding a bit for about 12 days out of every 26.
I went to my GP and detailed (in a long boring list) all of my symptoms, craziness of cycles etc.
GP (female, but don't know if this matters) immediately referred for transvaginal ultrasound (I'm still waiting for this), took various swabs to rule out infections, and did an internal (and I was bleeding a little but she was happy to do the swabs and unbothered), urine for glucose, and referred me for a whole slew of blood tests. I voiced my concern re: PCOS (although have had a child before with no obvious problems) and she listened. A gyne referral won't happen until these initial tests are back.
The major difference may be that I am actively ttc and had an early MC last year, so they also know I will be seeking fertility referral if this carries on. But you can't put up with life with constant, heavy and painful periods, so if your GP won't refer you seek a 2nd opinion, even if it means changing surgery.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 06-Feb-14 14:14:33

CouthyMow

I would think CM that endometriosis is the root cause here of your painful periods (it can also cause heaviness of periods); you seem to have many of the classic symptoms associated with this disease.

Also PCOS may be present as well; that would account for the hairs and adult onset acne. If your thyroid is at the bottom end of normal this should be reassessed as well.

I would return to the GP and ask this person firmly for a referral to a gynaecologist. This type of problem is well outside a GPs remit and from what you have written the GP has no idea WHY this is happening.

It is certainly in your interests to find out exactly why is this all happening, you will need to be persistent in order to get answers.

I would also suggest you keep a daily pain and symptom diary if you are not already doing so. This will help the gynae as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now