Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So upset that I have to have teeth extracted- please tell me it will be ok.

(23 Posts)
absolutelygutted Wed 05-Feb-14 16:08:51

My usual dentist isn't there at the moment , so I went another one. He told me that the niggles I had been having were not down to my wisdom tooth but due to decay the root of the tooth next to it. He said root canal wouldn't work, and I will have to have it taken out. This means I will have only 2 teeth, one premolar ( one was removed in childhood to make room) and one molar on that side, as they will also removed the wisdom tooth.

I am gutted, I only managed to get over my dental phobia in there last few years and I am disappointed my regular dentist didn't spot the problem. Will I look gaps forever? Will I need the ones on top taken out to match?

AnnaBullerby Wed 05-Feb-14 16:17:28

Is this a NHS or private dentist? Why will root canal not work? Does the wisdom tooth need to be removed?

TeaAndFag Wed 05-Feb-14 16:20:13

You can get a bridge,partial denture, or, the best option, implants (v.expensive) to replace the missing teeth, once the gum has healed from the extraction. You won't need the top molars extracted unless there is actually a problem with them. Does your normal dentist take x-rays routinely at your check-ups? How often do you normally visit?

absolutelygutted Wed 05-Feb-14 17:14:49

I am not in the UK so no NHS. The decay is on the outside of the root, so root canal no good, I did ask. The wisdom teeth is growing in such a way that the bacteria or whatever has got stuck underneath it. I think only an implant would be ok, don't you need other teeth to do a bridge or denture, to kind of stick them to?

I haven't had X-rays for quite some time. I go regularly, every six to eight months. Was there 4 months ago.

absolutelygutted Wed 05-Feb-14 17:16:36

The extraction will be done in hospital due to my anxiety. I am wondering if I should ask if the wisdom tooth can be saved if healthy and grow into the other ones space( it is wonky and pushing into the side of the other one)

Mrsmorton Wed 05-Feb-14 18:20:31

If the wisdom tooth is wonky them it's probably unlikely that it will erupt into the space. You really honestly don't need teeth further back than thr first molar, an implant would be a total waste of money.

If the wisdom teeth are impacted against the tooth in front then the decay that often arises is well below the gum line and can't be filled whether you have root canal treatment, a crown or whatever. It's one reason that taking x rays of impacted wisdom teeth should be done at least every two years and why it's so frustrating when people say "I've had no problems so I didn't come" and then we see this and have to remove two teeth.

OP, you can't have a bridge here (unless your dentist us ripping you off) a denture would be very uncomfortable and an implant, like I said, an expensive waste of time. Especially if you have anxiety. Get the teeth removed and give it a few months to see how you cope, I bet you will be fine.

absolutelygutted Wed 05-Feb-14 19:31:37

Thank you mrs Morton. Always good to have a professional MN opinion as well! I don't think I have much choice - I can't go through another infection, which is bound to occur if I don't have them sorted. Still gutted though.

RockinD Wed 05-Feb-14 19:32:02

Endorsing what Mrsmorton says

Mrsmorton Wed 05-Feb-14 19:37:58

Yes, it's always a bit shock sad when you need to have two teeth out at once but you will be fine! it will heal very well and you will feel better with these teeth gone, no risk of pain at inconvenient times, your breath will feel fresher, you will probably feel better in ways you didn't even realise you could. I know I did after having my wisdom teeth out and they were pretty straightforward.

absolutelygutted Wed 05-Feb-14 19:52:46

Thanks again. I have been called to say I can see someone at the hospital tomorrow. So scared.......what if they want to take more out?

MinesAPintOfTea Wed 05-Feb-14 20:02:37

I had a wisdom tooth out just before new year. I'd had an infection flare up after over a year of "wait and see" as the dentist thought it would be hard to get out.

I was offered the chance to go away and think about it first but wanted it over with. He had to redo my aesthetic as the first lot wasn't enough, but once it was well numbed I just thought myself elsewhere and it was over in no time.

Afterwards was ok. Cotton wool in the mouth for an hour or so but I was naughty and didn't wash with salt water because it made me retch

absolutelygutted Wed 05-Feb-14 20:04:27

Thanks. Mine will be a GA, no chance of anyone doing anything without!

Mrsmorton Wed 05-Feb-14 20:54:39

You can always say no, make sure you have enough time to think about it. Ask why etc etc. remember it's best to avoid repeat GA so if the same scenario is likely to arise on the other side, it's a good idea to get rid of the wisdom tooth to make sure the other tooth stays healthy rather than be in the same situation next year.

absolutelygutted Thu 06-Feb-14 08:18:59

Thanks mrsm. I am a mess already but I will make sure I ask the questions.

2kidsintow Thu 06-Feb-14 19:23:41

How are you, OP?

absolutelygutted Thu 06-Feb-14 19:39:02

Even more horrendous than I thought, they want to take all my wisdom teeth out plus the one we were originally talking about.hmm There is nothing wrong with the top ones, but the bottom one on huge other side is apparently impacted too.

Thank you for asking though.

MinesAPintOfTea Fri 07-Feb-14 12:57:43

Have they told you why they want to take the top ones out as well?

If the opposite bottom one is also impacted then probably its best coming out before it causes issues though

flowers its bad enough with only a mild dislike of dentists.

Mrsmorton Fri 07-Feb-14 15:08:50

Often the top wisdom teeth will "over erupt" and become a real pain, much more susceptible to decay and gum disease, difficult to clean and interfering with your bite. If you're anxious it's far better to get them all out in one GA, one episode of healing and you're done. Top wisdom teeth are very easy to remove, I don't rush my work but often from the patient arriving to them leaving minus their top wisdom tooth is done in about 15 minutes, that's including time to check the bleeding has stopped and to discuss post OP care so DO NOT WORRY about this. It's good, pre-emotive dentistry that is aimed at preventing you needing emergency work when you won't be able to have a GA and you are in pain.

mypussyiscalledCaramel Fri 07-Feb-14 15:46:11

I had some teeth out under sedation. Best choice I made.

I had another tooth out on Monday, with local anaesthetic and was so anxious I cried twice. When the dentist told me off for not telling him. I apologised and said I just wanted it over with.

I haven't got any wisdom teeth, and hope I never do.

I hope all goes well for you.

SulkingintheShrubbery Fri 07-Feb-14 16:28:13

How much does IV sedation cost? I hope I misheard my dentist when she said £200 shock

Mrsmorton Fri 07-Feb-14 17:50:29

It's expensive, there's lots of equipment (and training) involved and the NHS don't usually commission this in general practice so it's often only available privately

absolutelygutted Fri 07-Feb-14 17:57:05

Yes, they said it was because both the bottoms are impacted( only one causing a problem now, but the other might) and so the top ones should come out too. The top ones have been there since my early.twenties but the bottom ones put in an appearance last year.

I know you're right, mrsm, better to be over and done with in one go. Just hope it is soon. I will be anxious until it is over and done with.

mypussyiscalledCaramel Fri 07-Feb-14 18:41:18

My sedation was done on the NHS, mind you, I had to go to another town about10 miles away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now