Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pain relief for dry socket?

(9 Posts)
TinTinsSexySister Wed 05-Feb-14 00:29:24

I had my lower left wisdom tooth out last Wednesday but today the pain had been really bad.

I called hosp and they said I might have dry socket and to go in tomorrow AM to get it checked out.

I am in fucking agony right now and can't sleep. Have taken paracetamol and Ibuprofen all day but the 600mg ibuprofen they gave me is about to run out.

What am I going to do? I already want to cut my jaw off and I'm taking them. I'm scared how bad the pain will be without them hmm

If the pain is that bad I'd take myself up to the walkin or even a&e and just sit it out until someone nice gives me some more pain relief.

Christmascandles Wed 05-Feb-14 01:01:50

Oh no, this happened to me last year. Fucking agony....

Did they 'pack' it with any dressing..?

Do you have any clove oil? You need to put a tiny bit of clove oil onto some dressing and put it over it. Failing that codeine worked for me, but the relief after I went back and they 'dressed' it for me was immense.

Get yourself back there first thing regardless. Hope you're ok shock

VestaCurry Wed 05-Feb-14 01:21:32

I had this a few years ago. In the end I went to A&E in middle of the night and I was given a pethidine shot to tide my over until I could see dentist a few hours later.

HerRoyalNotness Wed 05-Feb-14 04:07:37

Oh gosh you poor thing! I suffered a week with that when I had my wisdom teeth out. Couldn't get through to the receptionist just how much pain I was in and that it wasn't normal discomfort!! Pain free as soon as the dentist put packing in when I eventually got an appointment.

TinTinsSexySister Wed 05-Feb-14 11:59:37

Thanks everyone, advice and support MUCH appreciated.

I went in this morning and they washed it out and packed it with something red and smelling of cloves. It hurt so much. I am traumatised.

Anyway, he gave me some more ibuprofen, and a squirty thing to clean it with but said another week prob, before it gets much better.

hmm

Does anyone know if I will need it repacked? Dr Google says yes, but he didn't say anything about going back.

Thymeout Wed 05-Feb-14 14:46:51

Mine didn't need repacking and the pain eased off almost immediately.

Re pain relief, ask a pharmacist. There is an over the counter product with codeine in it, but anything strong enough to work on the pain will probably make you a bit woozy. Also, beware, codeine is v constipating.

TinTinsSexySister Wed 05-Feb-14 16:47:55

Thanks Thyme out - off to find codeine.

YellowHibiscus Wed 05-Feb-14 20:59:29

Sorry to hear you are in such agony, I feel your pain. Unfortunately, quite literally. I had two wisdom teeth out late last year and had a dry socket then (bottom). Last week I had my other two wisdom teeth removed and despite following all recommendations carefully, I have another dry socket, again the lower tooth.

Nurofen plus is giving me some relief, this has codeine in it as well. I have clove oil and DH has been dropping a couple of drops into the socket every so often which is helping, though it tastes rather unpleasant. Did your dentist give you antibiotics?

Wishing you a speedy recovery, it is truly awful. It was about 3 weeks following the op that I felt completely better last time. Hoping it'll go away more quickly this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now