Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone else get crazy mood swings when taking antihistamines?

(12 Posts)
JiminyCricket Tue 04-Feb-14 19:10:46

I am recommended to take them daily for uriticaria and related allergy symptoms but every time I try I find myself shouting and practically throwing things around the kitchen, or crying my eyes out for no good reason or feeling a kind of empty, ennui-like feeling. [Piriton does occasionally make me feel unreasonably happy, to be fair, but only along with the other mood swings]. I have given all the over the counter ones a decent trial, and my GP says there are two prescription only ones I can try, so currently taking one of those (but not taking it because of the above). Is it just me?

JiminyCricket Wed 05-Feb-14 18:27:59

Bump . . .

ohtobemeagain Wed 05-Feb-14 18:40:45

Which ones are you on? I have found issues with Cetirizine Hydrochloride (sp?) Once I got myself utterly convinced I was pregnant as I was so exhausted, hormonal etc.

I now take loratadine which still works, but without the tiredness.

JiminyCricket Thu 06-Feb-14 17:22:26

Currently I am prescribed Fexofenadine Hydrochloride - Loratadine I get the tiredness plus loss of taste and appetite, cirtirazine hydrochloride the crazy mood swings - a lot like you describe.

SlinkyB Thu 06-Feb-14 17:30:09

Hmm, how interesting. I've been on either Cetirizine or Loratadine (just pick up whatever in Asda as cheaper than prescription) for my perennial allergic rhinitis for years.

Tend to stick to Loratadine as it's non-drowsy, but can't say I have experience mood swings on either.

Will check with dh when he's home later though wink

JiminyCricket Fri 07-Feb-14 11:24:50

thanks ... I think maybe they are just not for me. I was just wondering if it was a stage that some people go through and then get used to them iyswim? But I don't think staying on them will be much good for my marriage.

PeriPathetic Fri 07-Feb-14 11:35:06

Yes! Although it was many years ago now but it was so bad I no longer take any anti histamine. Sent me into a rapid downward spiral of black depression and much weirdness. It reversed when I stopped taking them but it was terrifying.

ImSoHappyCauseToday Fri 07-Feb-14 11:39:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ElectricalBanana Fri 07-Feb-14 11:49:13

Can only take loratadine. Anything else makes me crackers.

Not as bad as when I needed IV steroids....... Now that was interesting!!!!!!!

embouchure Fri 07-Feb-14 13:00:27

This makes me worried. Dd1 (9) takes an antihistamine every day as she gets urticaria - no idea why. It started suddenly just over a year ago. I wonder if it is linked to a change in temperature - she gets it if out in the cold or heat. so, I started giving her a dose of cetirizine hydrochloride every day - it works.

Gp (locum when we went) was totally disinterested and said keep giving her antihistamine if it works. I asked if there were any problems with taking it every day and he said no. I take an antihistamine but usually between March and July and it has no effects on me, but was concerned about my daughter taking it daily. She has been quite hysterical - gets angry easily - for a while. It could just be her age, but perhaps I should try changing to a different antihistamine.

Handsup Fri 07-Feb-14 15:54:39

Me too! Precisely the reason I stopped taking them. I remember feeling on edge like something bad was going to happen. Could never take more than a couple of days - bizarre ..

JiminyCricket Fri 07-Feb-14 17:29:52

Wow, so its not just me - thank you for your replies and it sounds like its not just a temporary side effect.

Embouchure - if you are worried, maybe ask a better GP whether it is worth having a trial of a different kind? or a trial of coming off them, but it might be a matter of weighing up her symptoms and the side effects. I know my 10 year old and her friends have quite a lot of mood swings too! There doesn't seem to be much help for uriticaria apart from antihistamine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now