Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help with cold sores!

(18 Posts)
AAAndy Tue 04-Feb-14 10:39:52

Hi all,

For years I have been suffering with cold sores, with the UK weather the way it is at the moment it just seems to aggravate them.
As soon as one goes it isn't long before I have another sad

I've tried a lot of different 'remedies' but I've never found one that really works well for me.

If anyone has any recommendations that would be great smile

AAAndy

sunnyfriday Tue 04-Feb-14 11:14:13

fellow sufferer here :-/

after my last outbreak I got this.

some of my friends have been raving about it and the reviews are really brilliant. I haven't used it myself though.

AAAndy Tue 04-Feb-14 11:32:11

Hi Sunnyfriday,

Thanks for the link, wow, I've never seen anything quite like that before.

You say you have one, what does it do exactly? All I can imagine is it's like a hair straightener for cold sores!

PeanutPatty Tue 04-Feb-14 11:33:09

Used teabag applied frequently from the moment it appears.

ComeInKettlesOn Tue 04-Feb-14 11:34:32

When I have a tingly feeling on my lip I take L-Lysine available in health food shops. That usually stops them from developing.

I also find it's worse if I'm eating nuts and chocolate and not enough fresh foods.

KatoPotato Tue 04-Feb-14 11:36:32

Hi OP. If coldsores are frequent, get your GP to prescribe aciclovir tablets. They really do help.

I never get a tingle, always a lump. When this happens I pop on a compeed patch , take a tablet and also twice a day I zap with a biostick

I've yet to work out which of these three things do the trick but I can get rid of one in two-three days!

AAAndy Tue 04-Feb-14 11:37:04

I've read up on teabags, I've heard that they aren't always effective, do I use them wet or dry?

sunnyfriday Tue 04-Feb-14 11:42:06

OP, the tip of the metal device heats up and you press it on the developing cold sore.

only just got it to be prepared for my next one. have not used it actually.

AAAndy Tue 04-Feb-14 11:44:11

Oh I see, thanks for the answer. I don't like the idea of pressing it to my face, what if it gets too hot?

Does anyone know of anything a bit more natural?

KatoPotato Tue 04-Feb-14 11:45:33

The biostick just uses red light. no pain whatsoever.

sunnyfriday Tue 04-Feb-14 11:56:48

I think the heat is controlled and it does not go above a certain temperature. It also maintains this temperature only for a couple of seconds. I don't think you can get burned.

Franchini Tue 04-Feb-14 12:02:32

I have got the boots cold sore machine it costs about �30 and it fires some sort of UV rays at the blighter! I find that the machine along with the usual zovirax speeds up the initial puffy stage and they do heal quicker than usual. Hope this helps.

Sunflower49 Tue 04-Feb-14 12:05:51

1 l-lysine tab per day, taken with food smile
I bought one of those virulight machines but never used it because after taking l-lysine, I never got one again!

AAAndy Tue 04-Feb-14 13:08:02

Thanks for the tips, they've been really helpful!

I've also been Googling and I have just found a treatment called Herstat - has anyone heard of it before?

Sunflower49 Tue 04-Feb-14 13:32:25

I haven't heard of herstat. If you'd like to buy my virulite machine I'm putting it on eBay half the price I paid for it, I've never even opened the box-inbox me if you do and if not no problem smile

chocaholic73 Tue 04-Feb-14 18:24:17

Virulite is the best thing ever http://www.vcs.eu.com/ - I've had coldsores all my life but stress was making them more frequent. Used to use zovirax which reduced the pain but they looked disgusting. Many times now I will feel that ominous tingle and use the Virulite and it actually stops the cold sore erupting. It is brilliant.

PeanutPatty Tue 04-Feb-14 19:51:32

Either. Keep reusing the same one throughout the day, no need to reheat it.

AAAndy Wed 05-Feb-14 09:25:27

I've ordered a tube of treatment from the Herstat website, going to see how I get on with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now