Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mum diagnosed with womb cancer - please hold my hand

(16 Posts)
TeamEdward Mon 03-Feb-14 14:17:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Indith Mon 03-Feb-14 14:20:47

My mum was diagnosed very recently. Her hysterectomy is today. Waiting for the call from my dad to let me know how it went.

It is shit.

I hope you get good news on the stage on Wednesday.

TeamEdward Mon 03-Feb-14 14:26:05

Indith Mon 03-Feb-14 14:38:32

I'd wait until you know more before you tell them much. Mine know that my mum needs and operation but no more than that, tbh they only know that because they were supposed to go and stay with her at half term.

Focus on the positive for now. They know she has it so they can start doing something about it.

TeamEdward Mon 03-Feb-14 16:11:37

CMOTDibbler Mon 03-Feb-14 18:27:41

The good news is that the survival rates for endometrial cancer is really, really high. Many ladies just need a hysterectomy, and some need some radiotherapy afterwards - it will depend on how much cancer your mum has and if it has spread to any lymph nodes.

I'd not tell the children anything till you know what will happen in terms of treatment, and then keep it very calm and matter of fact 'some of the cells in nanas womb are growing wrong, so she'll have an operation to take them away' sort of thing

RockinD Mon 03-Feb-14 19:20:11

My friend was diagnosed with endometrial cancer in November 2003. She had a full hysterectomy in December and six doses of radiotherapy the next spring. She was bridesmaid at my wedding in June 2004 and is still around.

Only thing I would say is that she was offered radiotherapy on a 'belt and braces' basis and has suffered long term effects. If she had her time again, she would not choose to have the radiotherapy.

TeamEdward Thu 27-Feb-14 20:31:59

LaFlotte Thu 27-Feb-14 23:47:43

Hi there
I hope your Mum is doing OK? This happened to my Mum a couple of years ago and after hysterectomy she was fine...once histology came back she was told no radiotherapy required and she just had to recover from the op.

Hope it's the same for your Mum - just remember how very very treatable it is.

Mum was delicate for a while after op and I remember it taking a while for her appetite to come back but I am sure that's to be expected.

She was advised to have a pillow under the seat belt in the car coming home from hospital so that might be a little tip.

All the best to you and your Mum x

TeamEdward Fri 28-Feb-14 07:25:58

LaFlotte Fri 28-Feb-14 09:34:06

That's great you'll see her tonight and a nice idea with the package.

I just wanted to say don't panic if your Mum looks quite poorly tonight. I got quite a shock when I saw Mum but it was just the anaesthetic wearing off and recovery time.

A couple of days later and she was well on the way to feeling better.

She won't be able to lift anything or hoover or iron so there will be plenty you can do to help!!!!!

ClaraFox Fri 28-Feb-14 12:21:44

Sorry to read this. Try and take heart from the fact that this really is one of the ' nicer ' cancers.

My mum had ovarian cancer 5 or so years ago and I was terrified. She recovered and is fine.

Stay positive and take each day as it comes. The shock does lessen and before you know it it'll be behind you all.

TheArticFunky Fri 28-Feb-14 14:40:13

It is a real shock but as others have said the survival rates are very high.

My sister had a hysterectomy and is absolutely fine.

Good luck. I hope the news from the scan is positive.

Elibean Fri 28-Feb-14 17:36:20

Another who has always heard of very high survival rates with this one - I knew someone who treated patients with endo ca, and she said she'd never lost a patient. Ever.

And my boss had it (in her 30s) - she had a radiotherapy implant after hysterectomy and is fine. That was 10 years ago.

Indith, hello <waves> lovely to see you, but very sorry to hear your mum is going through the mill....hope today is the start of everything getting better for her, and for you all xx

ARightOldPickle Fri 28-Feb-14 17:44:09

It's a shock, hope you are all doing OK.

Just wanted to add to the good news stories - my sister was diagnosed with the same 4 years ago. Had a hysterectomy, no other treatments necessary and has one more yearly check before (hopefully) the all clear.

All the best to your mum.

TeamEdward Fri 28-Feb-14 22:05:54

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now