Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

can we get a termination?

(33 Posts)
piklepants Mon 03-Feb-14 13:35:43

Can't actually believe this is happening to us it's so typical. We had 2 miscarriages between having our three gorgeous kids dp also has three from previous relationship and we are sure our family is complete. He is supposed to be going for the snip. And now we've had a misshap of contraception and just found out am pregnant. We can't afford another really feel we have enough and I don't think I could cope with another so close so if I ask gp for termination will we have it? Really don't have money to spare on going private? Also if first doctor says no am I able to ask a different Doc?

Rooners Mon 03-Feb-14 15:56:10

Sorry I don't know but bumping for you x

PoshPenny Mon 03-Feb-14 16:27:10

an alternative to your GP is BPAS - British pregnancy advisory service. why don't you phone them, you can find your local one on the internet. I supported a very dear friend through a termination with them before Christmas and thought they were excellent (and extremely non judgemental). I can't see why you would be refused a termination?

PoshPenny Mon 03-Feb-14 16:28:09

Forgot to add it was free...

Branleuse Mon 03-Feb-14 16:30:34

Ask your doctor. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get one if you see them quick enough x

cafebistro Mon 03-Feb-14 16:34:55

Go to your GP. I can't see any reason that they'd refuse to refer you for one.

GlitzAndGiggles Mon 03-Feb-14 16:49:45

If your doc refuses you can get referred via a sexual health clinic. Not that I can see why they'd refuse a referral

JanePurdy Mon 03-Feb-14 16:57:00

Go to your GP & tell them what you've said here - contraceptive failure, 6 kids already, he's booked in for the snip, you can't cope with another child. The GP will refer you & you will be able to access a free termination. IF the GP has an ethical objection you are entitled to request to see another GP at the surgery who will refer you.

Sparklysilversequins Mon 03-Feb-14 17:32:28

You can self refer depending on the area you live in by contacting BPAS.

here are details at the bottom of the page

piklepants Mon 03-Feb-14 18:36:42

I'm in Cardiff Wales and Doc referred me to the bpas Cardiff not sure if it was for moral reason??! Will I have to pay there?? We are short of money as it is:-(

Sparklysilversequins Mon 03-Feb-14 18:41:16

No, you won't have to pay.

WowserBowser Mon 03-Feb-14 18:41:56

I was referred to a BPAS in Liverpool through a midwife as the baby had abnormalities. Something to do with how far gone i was. I didn't have to pay x

JanePurdy Mon 03-Feb-14 20:31:10

No you won't have to pay! Bpas has a contract with the NHS to carry out abortions (so does MSI). Don't worry - your referral is to the right place & it will be okay.

UriGeller Mon 03-Feb-14 20:36:55

I'm going through the same right now. sad just waiting for the consultants appointment.

Its through the BPAS, I phoned my GP and the receptionist gave me their number and said it was self referral these days. Its all done in my local hospital and there isn't a charge as its on the NHS.
I gather this first appointment is to discuss options (medical or surgical) and to book in for the procedure which will be a couple of days later.

piklepants Mon 03-Feb-14 20:55:33

Yes but the Doc just gave me the number so won't I then be self referring and might be expected to pay? Doc was Irish and said wasn't sure of laws here so if not maybe I should speak to one who does know?? Nice to know someone else in same boat uri I been on such a dozens today I just want it sorted out now

piklepants Mon 03-Feb-14 20:59:07

Downer not dozen!

piklepants Mon 03-Feb-14 21:01:10

Did u need a good reason urigeller? Doc was saying ours was for social reasons therefore sort it out yourselves so to speak!?

JanePurdy Mon 03-Feb-14 21:20:16

I think it will be okay piklepants, if you look on their website it says
The majority of our patients (over 93%) get the cost of their treatment paid for by the NHS, but we will require information about your location and GP to assess your eligibility. Please telephone us and we can tell you if you can have your treatment funded by the NHS.

piklepants Mon 03-Feb-14 21:22:29

Thanks yes I plan on calling first thing

UriGeller Mon 03-Feb-14 22:30:14

Hi Piklepants, I do Have a good reason but I haven't discussed it with anyone yet, basically similar to yours plus I have an underlying medical condition that would be made much worse by another pregnancy.

I'm going to search through the Internet for some more info but as far as I can see, the procedure, if done on the NHS carries no cost to the patient. There is the option to go private, I was told this was £400 and doesn't mean it would be one any quicker.

Try to keep your chin up, I know its hard, blame the bloody hormones smile

UriGeller Mon 03-Feb-14 22:35:04

Just found this:

Can I be refused an abortion?

It's rare for anyone to be refused an abortion. A doctor may have moral objections to abortion, but if that’s the case they should refer you to another doctor who can help. It can be very difficult to get later abortions, so the earlier you seek help the better.
By law, two doctors have to agree that you can have an abortion. Usually this is the first doctor you see and a second doctor who will perform the abortion, or one who works at the community contraceptive clinic or hospital.

From the NHS Choices website.

Hope it puts your mind at rest a little .

piklepants Tue 04-Feb-14 07:13:59

Thanks I'll let u know what they say. I'm really struggling mentally right now even though I know 100% I don't want another I'm mentally playing through how let down I felt by my partner all through last pregnancy. I literally felt so alone and unsupported and it's affecting our relationship now. Think he's going to think I'm crazy if I come out with all this stuff now though but it's just all coming to front of my mind especially as I was trying to justify to Doc yesterday why we couldn't have another. I spent half of yesterday in tears. Does this sound crazy?

EirikurNoromaour Tue 04-Feb-14 07:23:35

flowers bless you. It doesn't sound crazy. Pregnancy does weird things to our brains and the flood of hormones will be unlocking memories that you have probably suppressed in order to be able to function.

UriGeller Tue 04-Feb-14 08:02:30

Yes, please get back to us. You are not crazy. The world is. Everything smells rotten today and I puked this morning sad

Please try to let your partner know all your feelings. He's part of this too! Can you talk to anyone in real life? I'm not telling anyone I know (I couldnt handle the pity) but DP. I might afterwards if I need to. I just want it done now so I can get back to normal life.

KatieChooChoo Tue 04-Feb-14 08:10:14

bless you at this difficult time xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now