Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

is this the flu?

(16 Posts)
kelhen Fri 31-Jan-14 14:50:04

I had to come home from work this morning. I vomited at 4 am but felt well enough to go in at 9. I then started getting cold and chills, headache and dizzy. Lying in bed now with two divers and a woolly hat! My head aches and my thigh bones ache!

kelhen Fri 31-Jan-14 14:50:45

Two duvets, not two divers!!

MillyONaire Fri 31-Jan-14 14:51:00

sounds like it!! you're in the best place.

Elderberri Fri 31-Jan-14 14:52:16

Sounds like it. Should you feel like you don't care if you live or die you have got a proper bout.

Lots of vit c, and rest, don't force yourself into work.

Did you have flu shot?

kelhen Fri 31-Jan-14 14:54:32

Oh dear. No I didn't get the flu shot, never had flu so never really thought about it!! Worried now that my 15 month old will get it sad

Elderberri Fri 31-Jan-14 14:58:07

Kids don't usually come down as bad as adults. My ds didn't when we has flu. Try not to use to much over the counter stuff. Drink lots of water.

kelhen Fri 31-Jan-14 15:03:21

Thanks everybody thanks

LEMmingaround Fri 31-Jan-14 15:06:03

Or it could just be the starting of a really shitty cold/throat infection. Flu is a specific type of virus. Either way its shit so flowers i hope you feel better soon.

Someone said on here once that you know you have flu if a £50 note is about to fly out of the window and you can't muster the energy to get up and stop it.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 31-Jan-14 15:07:38

That's not very accurate, some flu viruses are nastier than others.

Feel better op.

digerd Fri 31-Jan-14 18:01:37

My one and only experience of the flu was in the Saars epidemic.

I slept for 3 days and 3 nights with a temperature of 38.5. No appetite just drinking a cup of tea with milk and sugar every 4 hours and then zonking out again. Even after 3 days when I began to fancy Readybrek to eat, could get only 2 spoonsful down me .
I did not have a cold or cough.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 01-Feb-14 08:14:08

Do you mean SARS digerd? You would have been pretty famous if you were in the uk and had that, there were only 4 official cases in the uk or do you mean you got flu at the same time as SARS was going on.

LEMmingaround Sat 01-Feb-14 13:19:16

I swear i had swine flu, although it was never diagnosed - i was so ill i wanted to die! I went to the OOH and the young GP started to give me the "go away, paracetemol and fluids" speech and "not really a case for anti-biotics" Just as the senior doctor was typing out my presecription for industrial strength amoxycillin and raising his eyebrows to the heavens behinds his trainees back grin All i wanted to do was sleep but my throat hurt so much. In all honesty it was probably tonsilitis but christ i was ill.

digerd Mon 03-Feb-14 16:41:48

It was a long time ago and my memory is not always to be trusted these daysblush.

It was the millenium New year's eve and the hospitals were full with this flu which was accompanied by a stiff/pain in the back of the neck.
Phoned NHS Direct and they told me to go to bed and take 2 paracetamol every 4 hours to get my temperature down.

I still can't get over how I ate nothing for 3 days and just slept waking every 4 hours for a cuppa.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 03-Feb-14 20:40:26

oh yes - the real millennium bug. That was a nasty sad We got it and had a little baby at the time who also got it. Our neighbours got it too and we had no family around. I have no idea how we survived. I couldnt even lift my baby - had to roll over to feed her.

digerd Mon 03-Feb-14 21:08:01

Only ever had such a thing once in my life - totally flaked out for 3 days. But I had only myself to look after, poor you with a baby.
I now have the yearly flu jab.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 04-Feb-14 11:31:02

me too. Dont want to go through that again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now