Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Questions about seeing a private gynaecologist

(6 Posts)
Snicci Thu 30-Jan-14 13:03:49

I previously posted regarding problems with my post-birth recovery. I won't go into too much detail but I was referred to see an NHS gynaecologist on Nov 14th and still waiting an appointment, despite numerous GP visits and calls to the secretary of the consultant chasing it up.

I'm in despair as i am constantly in pain and having a horrendous time 1) going to the toilet 2) dealing with the pain whilst caring for my 4 month DD and 3) almost unable to control bowel movements now. I am only 27! sad

My question is, has anyone seen a private gynaecologist before and by doing so, will it speed up getting an operation on the Nhs or not make a different as it wouldn't be an Nhs consultant I saw?

I'm at my wits end. This is effecting every aspect of my life, I cannot go out, I can't have sex or go to the toilet without being in sheer agony and this has resulted in me being diagnosed with post-natal depression.

Is it just a case of waiting to get this appointment from Nhs or is there any way I can push to be seen quicker? I have been to my GP sometimes up to 4 x in a week! I really do not know what to do. Unfortunately I cannot afford to pay for an operation privately as it's in the thousands, so a consultation would be my only hope although I don't know if that would make any difference.

Any help would be appreciated


summertimeandthelivingiseasy Thu 30-Jan-14 13:45:27

I saw the same gynaecologist I would have been referred to on the NHS privately on my insurance.

I think you can go for just a consultation and be referred back to the NHS but IIRC, the consultation was the price of the insurance excess I have to pay at the beginning of a year/treatment. I saw him within 2 wks.

You should really be able to see someone more quickly if you are in pain though - hope someone comes along who can tell you more.

TheFuzz Thu 30-Jan-14 13:51:32

If you pay, you can get into see a consultant quickly. But there will be the same waiting period for an operation, but you've got the ball rolling quicker.

Many consultants can be seen privately, so do some research on the ones in your local NHS, and I no doubt they will have private consultations as well.

Normal NHS referrals are 2-3 months to see a consultant and about three months for surgery but it does depend upon your local NHS.

Onsera3 Mon 10-Feb-14 12:42:30

While your waiting could you see a Gynae Physio? I assume they're a but cheaper but can be very useful.

I cant have an operation as still bf and want another child so my Gynae referred me to their Physio and just a couple of sessions helped a lot.

Also the return of my period helped as estrogen levels came back up.

I hope you can get seen soon.

Basketofchocolate Mon 10-Feb-14 12:44:17

I went private for the initial appt and then transferred back to NHS for follow up appt. Was much better as had much more time to talk through and really feel listened too, compared to further NHS appts.

Did cost, but for me was cheaper than time off work for NHS appt in working hours anyway.

1966gettingold Mon 10-Feb-14 22:28:41

I saw a private uro/gynae last week , have now been transferred to her NHS list got a 45 minute consultation with her. Only had to wait two days for the appointment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: