Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Partial Prolapse and Stress Incontinence - Please Help!

(8 Posts)
AmberSpyglass Wed 29-Jan-14 12:41:57

I'm 26. I had a physically traumatic birth, with forceps delivery and 3rd degree tear. At first I was utterly incontinent of urine, but some control gradually returned. I had a partial prolapse and I saw a women's physio for a few months which helped, but it's not "fixed". I'm now almost 3years PP and am realising that perhaps what I'm experiencing is not "normal" or OK.

I have both urge and stress incontinence, varying from a few drops to a full wee sad. If I run, bounce on a trampoline (just one bounce will do!), dance, cough/sneeze/laugh strenuously I will be incontinent. If I'm going out to watch a band and dancing I have to wear huge tena pads, and they will be utterly saturated, I have to change them a few times over the evening.

I'm not sure why I haven't done anything about this. I do pelvic floor exercises but they don't seem to make any difference. I've also done a lot of bladder retraining that the physio taught me but that doesn't help with the stress incontinence. I think I thought, OK, it's bad but it's not bad enough for treatment. However I was talking to my midwife friend yesterday and she was saying she thinks she'll need surgery. She then described stress incontinence that is nowhere near as bad as mine. I've made an appointment to see my GP next week and am going to ask for a referral to the urogynae clinic.

Do you think this sounds bad, or am I overreacting? Do you have any personal experience? Am I likely to need surgery? If you've had surgery, what was your experience?


AmberSpyglass Wed 29-Jan-14 17:26:57


Homebird11 Wed 29-Jan-14 18:23:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AmberSpyglass Wed 29-Jan-14 19:04:29

Thank you

1966gettingold Wed 29-Jan-14 22:00:21

There is a closed Facebook forum called Pelvic Organ Prolapse, you need to see a uro/gynae. I have just been to see mine this evening and feel hopeful. Mine has got worse with perimenopause.

intheround Wed 29-Jan-14 22:08:14

Go to your doctor and ask for a referral to women's health physio. Don't be fobbed off. You may be able to self refer.
They are lovely ladies who will show you how to really work your pelvic floor. If that isn't successful then you may be considered for surgery but the physio bit is REALLY important and surgery isn't to be undertaken lightly.

EmmaGellerGreen Thu 30-Jan-14 09:32:02

There is a lovely mumsnet tear called gussiegrips who is a physio specialising in this. There is a thread in exercise running at the minute that she is very often on. She is likely to have some words of wisdom for you!

AmberSpyglass Thu 30-Jan-14 14:51:26

Thanks all x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now