Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hard skin on ball of feet

(23 Posts)
kazzawazzawoo Wed 22-Jan-14 22:40:51

I have hard skin on the ball of my feet, which I guess are called callouses. One in particular had sort of a harder "lump" in one part which is sometimes painful. It's part of the callous. I have neglected to look after my feet for a whole.

I can't afford to visit a chiropodist. I have Flexitol, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. What is the best way to get rid of a callous?

I saw some instant callous treatment at boots today, it was about £12, it was a solution you apply for 6 mins on cotton wool, then you scrape off the dead skin. Does this work?

TamerB Thu 23-Jan-14 08:22:25

Are you sure it isn't a veruca?

Preciousbane Thu 23-Jan-14 08:28:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scarfaceace Thu 23-Jan-14 08:39:00

Morton's neuroma?

kazzawazzawoo Thu 23-Jan-14 10:08:05

Definitely not a verruca. It's like a particularly thick bit in the centre of the hard skin.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Thu 23-Jan-14 10:57:41

Sounds like you have a corn in the middle of the callus. I don't know about the product so couldn't recommend it. By far the best thing would be to see a local podiatrist / chiropodist, even if it's just for a one off. You have a much better chance of keeping it away once it's gone than you have of getting rid of it safely by yourself.
They can give you some advice on how to avoid getting it back.

kazzawazzawoo Thu 23-Jan-14 11:15:57

Thanks smile Hopefully that's something I can do soon.

Megbeth Thu 23-Jan-14 15:21:26

You can buy corn plasters that have a small cushioning around & contain Salicylic acid. You put a new one on for a day & change it. After a few days you file it down. I removed a huge callus/corn by doing this. If it is really large though then a podiatrist/chiropodist would be best. Also look at what shoes you wear as the thick skin is a build up as protection.

kazzawazzawoo Thu 23-Jan-14 15:32:10

Thanks Megbeth smile

I think the really hard bit is quite small, so maybe a corn plaster would cover it. I will look when I'm in Boots. The dry skin isn't too bad itself, just a bit rough.

My shoes aren't great at the moment, I need new ones, but it will have to wait for now, as I can't afford them.

JeanSeberg Thu 23-Jan-14 15:37:35

I had one of these just before Christmas, I've never known pain like it.

I soaked it and soaked it in water and eventually it got to the stage where I could scrape off a massive piece of really thick skin and the problem was instantly gone.

None of the corn plasters, callous thingies made a blind bit of difference.

kazzawazzawoo Thu 23-Jan-14 15:43:45

Oh, thanks smile I didn't think soaking in water would do the trick. Somewhere in the garage I have a foot spa that's never used, I might just go and find it and soak them for a few hours ...!

JeanSeberg Thu 23-Jan-14 15:46:34

It did take a few days I'm afraid to say, soaking it non-stop in really hot water with salt. Up till then I was hobbling around, it was embarrassing!

Is there any way in to pick away at it bit by bit?

(Note: this probably isn't recommendable but I was desperate!)

MzPixielated Thu 23-Jan-14 15:57:10

soak your feet in 1/2 cup of listerine, 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of warm water for 30 mins. The skin should file/peel off easily. I've also tried salt vinegar and hot water which works as well HTH smile
as you can probably tell I neglect my feet until things get BAD.

kazzawazzawoo Thu 23-Jan-14 15:58:52

Thanks JeanSeberg and MzPixielated smile

Is that the Listerine mouthwash?

I'll have a go tonight smile

MzPixielated Thu 23-Jan-14 18:58:42

yup listerine the mouthwash, no idea why it works I just saw it on pinterest lol.

GeekInThePink Thu 23-Jan-14 20:26:06

I need to do this! Any listerine?

kazzawazzawoo Thu 23-Jan-14 20:28:48

Having searched online, I've seen blogs by people who've tried it and say it doesn't work hmm

I might try it anyway.

marriednotdead Tue 28-Jan-14 08:05:01

Hi, I just thought I'd give you a different perspective. I used to get this all the time. Eventually my GP sent me to see a podiatrist.

It was apparently occurring because my feet roll inwards- pronate is the proper term- which puts pressure on the ball so they gave me arch supports to wear in my shoes. I haven't had it since.

kazzawazzawoo Tue 28-Jan-14 08:12:04

Thank you. I've just bought some insoles that help keep the feet in the right position so they hopefully will help with that.

gilmoregirl Sat 26-Jul-14 15:48:13

Gah wish I had actually read this thread before trying the listerine / vinegar / warm water thing.....just saw it in the beauty hacks and gave it a go. mzpixuelated how did it work for you? The soles of my feet are now perforated they are covered in holes! The hard skins now has holes in it and I have been filing for ages. Please help!

Lagoonablue Sat 26-Jul-14 15:51:19

Sounds like seed corns to me. Google it. You need to see a podiatrist to get them dug out. I get it done every year. Doesn't hurt and feels greater after.

PennySillin Sat 26-Jul-14 21:42:27

Do you have high arches? Do you over pronate?Is it where most of your weight is carried in which case it could be hard skin caused by pressure and no amount of flexitol will get rid of it as it will just return. Insoles may help.

PennySillin Sat 26-Jul-14 21:45:16

Just like married has already suggested!!!

You can check to see if you have this by looking at your footprint. If it looks like the last one you over pronate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now