Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

'crackling' noise in one ear after being hit.

(6 Posts)
landwhale Mon 13-Jan-14 22:21:15

Hi, hoping someone can help. DH was hit to the ear back in October and fell to the floor hitting his head against the curb. Since then he has had pain around his ear (not in the ear, just the area around) and is hearing a crackling/rustling noise in his ear, when there are loud noises.

He saw the doctor just after the incident who couldnt see anything but gave him painkillers. The pain and noise is still there 3 months on (albeit intermittently)

Do you think he should go back to the dr/book a hearing test or should he just keep taking painkillers and wait for it to get better..?

tia smile

LostInWales Mon 13-Jan-14 22:26:08

I would try and get him a referral to audiology if possible, I have progressive hearing loss in both ears (wear two lovely hearing aids now, over the last 10 years I have lost nearly all the hearing in one ear and the other is following suit) so I have spent a lot of time in the clinics and they have always been amazingly helpful and worked hard to find out what is going on. The crackling/rustling should really be checked out if it has been months and if all is well at least he is on their books for the future.

landwhale Mon 13-Jan-14 22:41:00

Ok thanks, so would he do that via the gp? Sorry if thats a stupid question :p

LostInWales Tue 14-Jan-14 08:00:08

Sorry, fell asleep! YY GP good first place to contact, I can self refer to audiology now but I think you'd have to go through the GP in the first instance. Make a fuss!

landwhale Tue 14-Jan-14 09:14:47

Ok thanks, will do!
Hopefully the wait for audiology won't be too long. smile

magso Tue 14-Jan-14 09:29:15

Agree go to GP and ask for referral. Not a medic, but imagine Dh would need to see ENT and audiology. When I was first referred ( and then re-referred some years later), the initial appointment was with ENT and audiology assessments were done on the day before seeing the ENT specialist- who organised Ct scans/ blood tests etc. Your GP will know what the system is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now