Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Calpol before Measles jab?

(13 Posts)
CountessDracula Tue 02-Mar-04 22:46:50

I am taking my 18 mo dd to have her single measles jab tomorrow. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you should give a spoon of calpol first - am I right?

FairyMum Wed 03-Mar-04 07:36:46

When we did the MMR, I was told that it rarely causes any reactions before a few weeks after the injection when they can get a slight fever. I did give calpol anyway just to be on the safe side...

twiglett Wed 03-Mar-04 08:25:46

message withdrawn

willow2 Wed 03-Mar-04 21:27:45

Cd - where did you get it done - and how did it go?

stripey Wed 03-Mar-04 21:48:28

Both mine have had single measles at Holbourn Medical Centre in London (they have a website where you can book). Thankfully they were both fine afterwards with little reaction

CountessDracula Wed 03-Mar-04 23:02:51

Thanks all - I went to Parkside Hospital in Wimbledon to a Doctor Singer (who I thought was a total arse, nearly turned around and walked out in fact cos he was so full of himself and kept trying to blind me with science. He also scoffed at me when I said I wanted 6 months between the vaccine and gabbled a lot of evidence that the immune response is over in 4 weeks so I must have it done in 6 weeks time. I agreed but will cancel the appt I think)

It went fine, she hardly even noticed it and was in a very good mood afterwards. When I got her ready for bed tonight there wasn't even a mark on her bum.

pamina3 Thu 04-Mar-04 09:22:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

twiglett Thu 04-Mar-04 09:24:34

message withdrawn

WSM Thu 04-Mar-04 09:40:28

I gave my DD a spoonful before she had her MMR, no idea whether it helped or not but she didn't seem to suffer any real adverse effects afterwards. One spoonful of Calpol certainly won't harm her, but it might just help.

WSM Thu 04-Mar-04 09:42:28

Sorry, just realised that you've already been for the jab ! DOH !

P.S. I was extra 'cruel' Mummy and my DD had her MMR and Hib booster at the same appointment. DD didn't seem to mind at all really, considering.

aloha Thu 04-Mar-04 09:51:16

I strongly recommend a chocolate button inserted into the mouth at the precise moment the needle goes in - my ds didn't even look down

CountessDracula Thu 04-Mar-04 19:53:59

pamina, it is £120 each there. Expensive compared to some places but it is so convenient, with the other places would have to take an afternoon off work which would cost me about 10 times any saving I make!

I have seen a couple of people there and they have always been really good before. If you call them, they will give you the number - there is another Dr there called O'Connell who does them too. Can't recommend Singer!

Dinny Thu 04-Mar-04 20:04:46

I didn't give Calpol before give dd Calpol beforehand - she didn't have reaction till 10 days later anyway. The doc at the Breakspear sat dd on my knee facing me, stuck a colourful badge on my shoulder and did it in her bum. She didn't notice anything. Good luck, CountessDracula

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: