Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Sorry about this .... :)

(35 Posts)
crystaltips Tue 02-Mar-04 16:32:17

I am sick to death that every time I shave my bikini line - I have that awful "itchy & scratchy" feeling for days afterwards!!

I've tried waxing ( never again ) and really don't like the creams.

How do I shave and not have the annoying after effects !!

Thanks

Angeliz Tue 02-Mar-04 17:03:44

ooh, i don't know but wil keep checking to see what people come up with!

(and underarms!!)

crystaltips Tue 02-Mar-04 17:16:55

But the under arms aren't itchy !!

Curiouser and curiouser !!

Fizog Tue 02-Mar-04 17:20:32

I have particularly sensitive skin and I find using a Mach3 really helps.

also I've taken to keeping a pot of sudocrem in my bedside cabinet - apply before bed until it's not red anymore and it stops the itching too!

hth - I found it a god send!!!

Freckle Tue 02-Mar-04 17:20:47

I found a "shave minimising" moisturiser the other day when doing my Sainsbury's shop. Jolene Shave Minimising Moisturiser - about £5 I think. It's supposed to contain an ingredient which breaks down keratin, a protein in hairs, which makes the hairs grow back softer and less obvious. Suitable for legs, underarms and bikini line (not face). I've bought some - has to be used daily - and am trying it out on my lower legs. If it works there, I might be tempted to try it elsewhere! It doesn't eliminate the need for shaving/whatever, but presumably the hairs are easier to remove.

Freckle Tue 02-Mar-04 17:21:11

I found a "shave minimising" moisturiser the other day when doing my Sainsbury's shop. Jolene Shave Minimising Moisturiser - about £5 I think. It's supposed to contain an ingredient which breaks down keratin, a protein in hairs, which makes the hairs grow back softer and less obvious. Suitable for legs, underarms and bikini line (not face). I've bought some - has to be used daily - and am trying it out on my lower legs. If it works there, I might be tempted to try it elsewhere! It doesn't eliminate the need for shaving/whatever, but presumably the hairs are easier to remove.

Angeliz Tue 02-Mar-04 17:50:44

crystaltips i meant for me too

(nutter)

crystaltips Tue 02-Mar-04 17:52:20

twiglett Tue 02-Mar-04 18:27:48

message withdrawn

crystaltips Tue 02-Mar-04 18:30:57

twiglett _ my sentiments too.
But when I go to the gym I don't like that "bad hair day" feeling

noddy5 Tue 02-Mar-04 18:42:35

try shaving with baby talc first on dry skin and just do it wet for any odd hairs

squirmyworm Tue 02-Mar-04 19:14:03

have you tried those electric things that pluck the hair out with sort of whizzy spring things (not making it up honest) can't remember what they're called - anyway they're fairly eye watering to use but they do work.....

crystaltips Tue 02-Mar-04 20:26:37

I know I must be being totally thick .... but does no-one else get this problem ???
It can't be just me .... or is it !!

spacemonkey Tue 02-Mar-04 20:27:43

crystaltips, I totally get the same problem if I shave in that area, which is why i've stopped! If a man really loves me, he has to love my hairy bits, it's as simple as that

crystaltips Tue 02-Mar-04 20:37:47

Titter Titter ...

Never thought about what DH thought !!
More worried about the ladies at the gym seeing my hairy bits

Fizog Tue 02-Mar-04 20:40:43

Yes Crystaltips I get the same problem, I posted my only cure (and I've tried most things)

If you can afford it you could always have the hair permenantly removed

marthamoo Tue 02-Mar-04 20:52:51

That sounds attractive, twiglett

I only did mine once and it was horrible and itchy and scratchy so now I just tuck it in

Fizog Tue 02-Mar-04 21:03:54

I'm a 'brazilian' girl myself, even with sensitive skin I manage to shave once a fortnight without a problem these days... just make sure your razor blade is brand new and very sharp (that's why I use mens) use a little shaving foam in a warm bath before bed then put a thin layer of sudocrem over before you get into bed... jobs a goodun. Certainly no itching and if you get a bit pink/spotty (like I do) just keep using a bit of sudocrem for a couple of days and it's gone... really would give it a go, can' recommend it enough!

Furball Tue 02-Mar-04 21:25:00

I'm fortunate enough to be blondish (collar and cuffs) so I don't have to shave *that* close. I've found using hair clippers on the shortist setting (ie without a guard thingy) has really saved my day! Because the hairs aren't shaved so close to the skin as a razor, there's no itching and and no ingrowing hairs and redness etc. Amazing what we talk about on here isn't it?

Fizog Tue 02-Mar-04 21:37:32

Furball - doesn't it feel stubbley?

Furball Tue 02-Mar-04 22:19:20

Well it aint like a babies bum On the other hand it's not as bad as hubbies chin.

Eowyn Tue 02-Mar-04 22:23:28

Mine is the same, really itchy & goes spotty, so very unattractive not sure what the point of doing it is.
Unfairly, dh's hair-down-there is baby soft & he thinks there is something wrong with me cos mine so very isn't.
I haven't investigated other ladies nether regions but presume I'm normal....

handlemecarefully Wed 03-Mar-04 08:43:50

Ummm yes Eowyn - its usually coarse hair rather than baby soft...so your dh is unusual not you!

katierocket Wed 03-Mar-04 09:29:53

has anyone got a remington bikini clipper?
here

really want to buy one but wondered what they are like.

prettycandles Wed 03-Mar-04 14:26:25

I'm another of the 'knee-braids' bunch. I've given up on my bikini line: there's hardly any point removing the hair, if what remains is red, rashy and swollen. By the time the reaction goes down, the hair is long enough to plait again. I also do the trimmer trick on my underarm hair, only shaving close to the skin if I'm going to wear something sleeveless in public (swimming cozzy at the gym doesn't count! ) The best I've found for my underarms is to shave in the evening after a good soak, with dh's shaving foam and a new sharp blade, followed by dh's aftershave balm for sensitive skin, baby talc every hour or so after the balm has dried, and no deodorant until the following day.

Wish I was Italian.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: