Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Getting rid of warts

(20 Posts)
Chottie Thu 31-Oct-13 21:32:54

I have a couple of very persistent warts on my hands. I've tried over the counter medicines and have them blasted by the doctor and they are still there.

I've read that duct tape is supposed to be a solution as it cuts off the oxygen supply. Does any one have any solutions that work? thanks

periwinklepussy Thu 31-Oct-13 21:55:55

Hi, I used to have a big wart right in between my index and middle finger. I was so conscious of it so I tried a strange remedy I'd heard of. I can't even remember where I heard it from now!
You take a match (a pink tip not safety ) and get the pink bit wet then rub it on your wart until it's coated in the pink. Keep coating the wart a couple of times a day and it should soon fall off. Mine took about 3 weeks to come off. It was pain free and the skin under the wart was not raw at all.
I also did this on a wart my daughter had on her finger and that took about 2 weeks to come off. Neither of our warts have ever grown back.
I hope this helps you if you decide to give it a go smile

DrankSangriaInThePark Thu 31-Oct-13 22:40:04

I've got a similar, but even weirder cure.....

Lick them, first thing in the morning, as soon as you wake up, before drinking anything, or brushing your teeth or having a wee shock

I had 14 on one hand when I was a teenager, and I heard Miriam Stoppard talking about this on the radio. I did it, and after about a fortnight, they had all gone!

It might have been coincidence, and I'm aware sounds utter bollocks, but I've never had one since!

FunnyRunner Thu 31-Oct-13 23:14:05

I have just discovered one of the buggers! Was searching MN and this popped up - I shall report back!

ps: you can't get them on your tongue can you?! (From licking)

Chottie Fri 01-Nov-13 06:19:02

Thank you, I am one week into the duct tape and if after three weeks I will try the matches and then the licking (also a bit worried about tongue warts!!!). The other cure I've heard is to rub the wart with the inner skin from a broad bean (!)

I reckon I got mine from the local gym mats.

Once they have gone, I am promising myself a proper manicure.

LordPalmerston Fri 01-Nov-13 06:58:09

We tried it on veruccas. Didn't work. Get them frozen

Chottie Fri 01-Nov-13 20:10:02

Lord P - the freezing has not worked. I tried over the counter and the doctors and the blighters are still there!

LordPalmerston Fri 01-Nov-13 20:29:42

Oh no. Doctor freeze

LordPalmerston Fri 01-Nov-13 20:30:03

Oh sorry. Half read. Christ. Er get chicken pox

MomOfTwoGirls2 Fri 01-Nov-13 23:00:21

Second Doctor freezing. Might require several freezings,.
Been only solution to shift persistent veruccas in this family. Supposed to be just as successful on warts. I think worst ones needed four freezing sessions.

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 00:02:56

Oh yes. I presumed that.

FunnyRunner Sat 02-Nov-13 00:21:44

Bloody hard to get duct tape to stay on a finger...

bsc Sat 02-Nov-13 00:35:26

bananaskins work on veruccas, maybe they'd work on warts?

3xM Sat 02-Nov-13 00:43:20

I had warts on my finger a few years ago and tried all sorts of things to get rid of them without success until one day I realised that they had just disappeared. Twas the strangest thing.

I saw a chiropodist about verrucas and he treated them with silver nitrite and that worked a treat.

Chottie Thu 21-Nov-13 04:46:55

In case anyone it interested, here is a wart update. I have continued with the duct tape and the little wart on my thumb has nearly gone and the other two have shrunk too. I have two (!) on my little finger and they have both got smaller and less angry looking, the finger was swollen and this has gone down a lot. I replace the duct tape every day. It looks awful and several people have asked me what has happened. I hedge and say it is something really unpleasant.

I think the duct tape works by starving the warts of oxygen.

fakenamefornow Tue 05-May-15 20:16:12

Does anyone know, if I leave a wart to go away on its own would that mean you are then immune to warts and not get any more?

YourBubzYourRulzHun Tue 05-May-15 20:24:49

Yes I think so. I had them as a child but never had any since or any verrucas.
DD got them when she started reception and she had loads. On her face, big ones on her hands and all around her fingernails on every finger. We got some cream from a dermatologist and he said it irritates the skin and will kick start the immune system to fight them and a couple of months later she woke up with a few less than she had the previous day and every day she had less and less till they all disappeared. So hoping they don't come back again!!

cassgate Tue 05-May-15 21:56:01

I had 15 on various fingers a couple of years ago. I tried duct tape on its own but it didn't work. Eventually I managed to get rid of one by treating it with wart stuff from the chemist. Sorry can't remember what it's called but it's liquid that you put on that freezes it and it turns white. I then covered with a normal plaster. I would remove plaster the next day and a layer of wart would come away. After about a week of doing this the root of the wart was exposed. It looked like a brown dot buried quite deep. I then put the freezing stuff directly on the root. It hurt like hell but after a few days the entire wart had gone. I then did the same for all the other warts and one by one they disappeared. Hope this helps.

Mrsmost Tue 05-May-15 22:05:20

I used to have 2 stubborn ones on my fingers , tried everything all the lotions and potions but nothing , in the end the only thing that worked was filing it down cover in clear nail varnish and cover that with cello tape they both went within 3 weeks and haven't come back since !!!!! Over 10 years now !!grin

fakenamefornow Tue 05-May-15 23:07:23

The reason I ask is because I had a verruca for about 18 months and went to the chiropodist who advised that I leave it if it didn't trouble me. He said that if it is cleared by my own immune system then I should be immune to them in future. Treatment would make it go but without any immunity gained. My little boy has a wart and I wondered if the same thing applied. If leaving it would confer immunity to warts then I'll leave it, if not, I'd treat it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now