Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vaginal Ultrasound

(17 Posts)
missnevermind Wed 23-Oct-13 21:49:51

Yes full bladder for abdominal scan. Then sent for a wee and internal scan when back. The nurse held a blanket up and chatted while I removed bottom half and wrapped me in the blanket once I was on the bed thingy.
Health problems not pregnancy.

LunaticFringe Wed 23-Oct-13 21:45:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wallison Wed 23-Oct-13 21:41:28

It really is absolutely fine and imo a lot less uncomfortable than a smear. It's basically like a small dildo and they use lots of lube so it just slides in. I hate internal exams mostly, but it really was nothing bad at all.

BonaDea Wed 23-Oct-13 21:37:50

Is say definitely not as bad as a smear. And frankly when you see your little blob on screen you'll soon forget it!

hashtagwhatever Wed 23-Oct-13 21:03:18

as said isn't so bad. I had no pain what so ever.

FrankelInFoal Wed 23-Oct-13 21:02:52

Definitely not something to worry about. I've had millions dozens of internal ultrasounds over the last 2-3 years and not one of them has hurt. The probe is not very wide (eg a Rampant Rabbit is much thicker) and they use a lot of lube to ensure it glides in easily.

Sparklingbrook Wed 23-Oct-13 21:01:54

Same here Theas. I was allowed to go for a wee inbetween scans.

Just think of the massive slice of cake you will earn. grin

bundaberg Wed 23-Oct-13 20:58:47

agree with the others. I mean, you're not going to come out and think "wow, i loved that i wanna do it again" lol, but it's really not that bad.

Theas18 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:58:24

Honestly not awful at all. " shocked by how not awful" That's exactly it. Far far less uncomfy than a smear and you are covered and no one is peering at your nethers, all eyes are on the screen!

Btw I had a full bladder for the external scan and was told to go to the loo before the internal.

Sparklingbrook Wed 23-Oct-13 20:55:06

The thought of it is about a million times worse than having it done Britta.

V dark room, nurse looking at the screen. She asked me if I wanted to insert the scan thingy or did I want her to do it.

Then she started showing me stuff on the screen and chatting in general. Really not awful at all. x

Hassled Wed 23-Oct-13 20:54:37

The worst bit is the full bladder necessary - I was in agony with the need to pee. The internal thing isn't so bad, really.

Strumpetron Wed 23-Oct-13 20:54:22

Honestly they're not bad at all. I had one a 3 years ago when I was 19. You take your pants off and put a gown on, they pop you on a lied back chair, and you can barely feel it when it goes in.

I was really shocked at how not-awful it was. Hope you're okay!

MyNameIsWinkly Wed 23-Oct-13 20:52:58

I've had lots, they're really not that bad.

You'll be given a large paper blanket thing and left to get undressed and covered. The probe is covered in a condom and lots of lube. It's then placed inside. It doesn't hurt but does feel a bit weird. It won't take long, and isn't cold, slimy or sore like an abdominal ultrasound.

Good luck.

darksparrow Wed 23-Oct-13 20:52:25

They are not awful at all - I think if you are earlier than 8 weeks it will be vaginal. I've had a couple - they are fine - and worth if for peace of mind.

BrittaPie Wed 23-Oct-13 20:52:24

I've never had a smear either, too scared...

littlemissnorty Wed 23-Oct-13 20:51:25

No different to having a smear imo. I had one very early into my 2nd of and it was fine. Concentrate on the VDU

BrittaPie Wed 23-Oct-13 20:49:19

I need to go for an ultrasound, and I don't know if it will be "normal" or the scary vaginal type.

How awful are they? I want to be prepared :-/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now