Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

GPs as gate keepers for specialists?

(4 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 10-Oct-13 22:12:59

Several times once I have seen a specialist, I have been told "We should have seen you sooner"

But often the GP says "It's just one of those things" & "you need to put up with it, lots of people get them/have that"

So how do you know when a problem you have needs seeing by a specialist and when it's something a GP can deal with.

Is it your responsibility as a patient or does the GP make the decision?

Ziggyzoom Thu 10-Oct-13 22:19:39

When I last saw my GP about chronic lower back pai he said it was up to me really, he couldn't see what a specialist would do. He offered physio, but left the decision to me. I opted to see the consultant and it turns out I need a new hip!

If the GP can't sort it, then I generally push for a referral.

mawbroon Thu 10-Oct-13 22:37:00

Last time I needed a specialist, I had to be quite forceful with the GP.

I was dizzy for weeks after any plane or boat journey and he said it was "viral labythrinitis (sp?)" which I immediately knew was a crock of shit, because it would have been far too much of a coincidence that it happened after travelling.

I basically told him it was a crock of shit, and he referred me. And I got the correct diagnosis of Disembarkment Syndrome which was what Dr Google I had thought all along.

I guess you need to be persistent.

KatyMac Fri 11-Oct-13 18:24:48

May be I'm not stroppy enough (it's not a condition I usually have; generally my friends consider me over stroppy)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now