Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would you want to speak to a GP about this? (cycle related and probably TMI!)

(7 Posts)
hellymelly Fri 25-Oct-13 15:18:48

Crikey Rosina! How frightening and traumatic. Glad all is ok. I paid for an urgent scan last week, to avoid the 8 week wait. Sometimes it is better to know asap. (in my case nothing serious, but a cyst and fibroid that I didn't know about).

RosinaCopper Thu 24-Oct-13 19:10:44

Bumping for LoopyLoou

RosinaCopper Wed 23-Oct-13 14:13:13

An update - and a warning not to be fobbed off or head in the sand about symptoms...

I ended up paying to go private for a scan (my NHS one was a 6 to 8 week wait) as I spent the weekend follwing the 2nd GP appt in agony. This scan showed abnormalities. I had an urgent gynae referral, who initially thought endometriosis but did a laparoscopy a few days later and found a severe infection in my pelvis (but not caused by an STI, hence the negative swabs). I ended up on IV antibiotics. I have googled the bacteria group responsible and the HPA page says that '15 to 25% of people with this type of invasive infection do, unfortunately, die' so of course I am hoping that the cocktail of antibiotics that I've had will have killed off the bug completely, as I want to be one of the other 75%. (That said, I'm not sure that the HPA is referring to the specific serotype that I had, but reading that did shock me)

I know I am very lucky to have been in a position to pay for the first scan and I dread to think what might have happened if I had had to wait, as the appointment for my NHS scan has only just come through.

Loopyloou I hope your experience was better than mine and if you haven't seen anyone about your snotty discharge, please do so!

RosinaCopper Wed 18-Sep-13 12:12:19

Thanks for the replies. I've just come back from the GPs surgery (saw a different Dr this time). I've been given antibiotics for the discharge, which he said could be bacterial vaginitis - a bit like a bacterial version of thrush - and drugs to stop the bleeding and some ointment to treat what he thought might be an internal fissure, so it was worth the phonecall and subsequent appointment!

It just seems to me that I have been at the Drs LOADS this year, having spent the previous 10 years only going in for routine health checks. Middle age is rubbish!!!

loopyloou Wed 18-Sep-13 11:31:36

I think you should go back to your gp and if he doesn't know, ask for a referral.

Having said that, I'm 49 and have strange cycles these days and had discharge this month too that looked snotty and didn't itch, smell or burn and I'm putting off a trip to the gp hmm I'm waiting to have a ius fitted to help with my heavy, very painful periods and don't want anything to delay it. I'll ask afterwards ...

But common sense tells me you should go!

Sophiedotty Wed 18-Sep-13 10:22:32

I'd go back to see a different Dr as green sounds like an infection. Stabbing pains could be endo. See if you can get a gynae referral.

RosinaCopper Wed 18-Sep-13 09:05:15

I'm in my mid 40s, so expecting to start getting menopausal soon anyway which is why I'm not sure whether to bother my GPs.

Weirdy stop start period last time. Followed by a couple of weeks where I was getting some green discharge, which looked more like it should have coem out of my nose than anywhere else! Not smelly, itchy or anything like that. I saw a GP who took swabs, which came back negative, and who said it wasn't green. (I disagree and it continued after I'd seen her). This period has come early and is horrific! Very very heavy, worst I've had in my life and to add to the joy I've got some stabbing pains up my bum (I know it isn't Friday and no, I don't indulge in bumsex!). They happen probably 6 or so times a day and hurt enough to make me stop whatever I'm doing to breathe through them. The thing is, I'm not sure what I'd expect the GPs to say/do.

Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now