Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Anyone had an endometrial ablation?

(21 Posts)
basilbrush Thu 12-Sep-13 14:16:06

Good afternoon ladies -

I'm looking for good (and bad!) stories from anyone who's had this procedure done for very heavy periods.

I'm 35, don't want any more children and don't want to use coil / pill for various reasons. I suffer from incredibly heavy 8-9 day periods that are ruining my life and this operation seems like a good option. My consultant put me on medication to reduce the bleeding which did help a bit but made me feel totally drowsy and incapacitated for several days a month - couldn't work / drive etc

Can anyone advise? Did you have a local or general anaesthetic? Did you suffer any long term side effects?

Thanks!

BawbagBiggins Thu 12-Sep-13 14:22:53

I had one in December last year under GA for the same reasons.
Had a small bleed in january and haven't had a period since, even though they thought it would be unsuccessful due to a fibroid that couldn't be totally removed as it was embedded in the wall of my uterus.
Highly recommend it.... just need to find something to cintrol the PMS now and I'll be very happy.

catmadcaz Thu 12-Sep-13 15:24:41

I had one done years ago...It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I was having terrible periods really heavy, and ruining my life I was house bound with them for 2 days every month. I tried every tablet/pill going even tried a mirina coil nothing worked.

In the end I was so badly anaemic I needed a bblood transfusion and had an urgent ablation carried out.

I had a GA but did not have to stay in the hospital it was just a day case, go in the morning and home in the evening.

I had light bleeding whilst healing which gradually over the weeks subsided and no periods or anything since. So for me a total sucess!

27cats Thu 12-Sep-13 17:23:41

Ablation earlier this year for nightmare periods with flooding etc. Best thing I ever did! I was nervous but there was no reason to be really, as everything was remarkably straightforward. Had a couple of easy days afterwards but that was more to recover from the GA, so tiredness and a bit of tenderness not pain as such. Now have manageable periods and am not anaemic.
The only thing is I am late 40's so was sure I didn't want any more children, obviously it is not something to consider if you are not 100% sure of this.

tammytwigg Thu 12-Sep-13 17:32:06

I had one done in may this year, best thing I've ever done .it was done under GA. as a day case they did put me off for 2 weeks as I have quite a physical job in retail. I was about 6 weeks with a bit of a discharge and then since then nothing .like you terrible periods flooding anaemic I would highly recommend it only if you don't want more children though ,I feel like a new woman .

littlemisswise Fri 13-Sep-13 13:30:08

I had mine done 6 years ago. It was the best thing I ever had done. My periods were really bad, I had tried the Mirena which didn't agree with me so had the ablation.

I had a GA and it was done as a day case. I did have a lot of back ache after, but I have back problems so maybe it was that.

My periods have started to get heavier and more painful now but still nothing like they were before. I can still leave the house and am not restricted to wearing black. I got my period on holiday recently and even using a regular tampon and sunbathing in a bikini didn't bother me. Before I had it done I wouldn't have dared!

mizu Sat 14-Sep-13 21:25:37

Had this done nearly 3 years ago and it was GA and I went home afterwards.

Think I had a week off work. Had heavy periods that were lasting 12-13 days (really heavy for only 5ish though) and used to feel so dizzy and get so pale.

I still get periods but they are 5 days in total and light in comparison.

mizu Sat 14-Sep-13 21:26:45

PS I had had the Mirena coil in for about 18 months which did help too but I felt terrible with it in and will NEVER take anything hormonal again.

PinkFairyArmadillo Sat 14-Sep-13 21:32:53

My mum had one done a few years ago and it changed her life, she says she wishes she'd had it done sooner.

I'm reading this thread with interest as I'm currently fighting an ongoing battle to have one. I have horrendously heavy periods which keep me pretty much housebound for a few days each month. I've had to cancel two sets of plans I had this week because I just daren't leave the house when it's bad.

I keep getting refused one (despite exhausting all alternatives) because apparently I'm too young at 30 to make a decision which will impact my fertility. DH has had a vasectomy now and I'm hoping if I go back and say we've got permanent contraception already in place that they might be a bit more open to me having it done.

LunaticFringe Sat 14-Sep-13 22:47:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QOD Sat 14-Sep-13 22:50:19

Yeah, stopped the horrible pains but still have periods

Overnight in hospital but was lucky enough to get it under private medical insurance

basilbrush Wed 18-Sep-13 07:54:57

Thank you for all these helplful stories!

It does seem that everyone here is glad that they had it done which is very reassuring to see. I honestly think it would change my life :-)

I have 3 DC (and certainly don't want anymore!) and DH had the snip last year so I really hope that at 35, they will consider me for the procedure.

I've got months and months of horrible periods (AKA not daring to sit on sofas in my own let alone anyone else's house...) to go though as I am still waiting to be re-referred to the consultant. I was seeing one and then I got unexpectedly pregnant with DC 3 which obviously solved the problem temporarily! Now I have to be re-referred by GP all over again (=6months?), then wait for procedure (=another 6 months?). Sigh :-(

But thank your comments, I feel there may be light at the end of the tunnel!

Morgause Wed 18-Sep-13 07:57:07

I did. Made life so much easier until I slid into the menopause. I still had periods but the loss was reduced by two thirds and the pain only came on day one.

TheOrchardKeeper Wed 18-Sep-13 08:07:30

My mum had one but it reverted back to the surprise flooding, bad pain and constant periods so she's now having a hysterectomy. (she's going through the menopause so it might be related).

TheOrchardKeeper Wed 18-Sep-13 08:08:04

(she didn't have a period for 4 months after the op though. Just a shame it didn't work).

LunaticFringe Wed 18-Sep-13 08:41:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

27cats Wed 18-Sep-13 13:21:43

I'm sure it depends on the area, but from going to GP to request one to having it done was less than 5 months for me. So you never know, you might get it sorted quicker than you think. smile

basilbrush Thu 19-Sep-13 13:45:33

LF and 27cats, that's more like it!

GP appt on Monday afternoon - fingers crossed smile

Crutchlow35 Sat 21-Sep-13 12:24:07

Mine didn't work. It failed completely and I knew within 10 days of the op it had failed.

I was in and out in a day. A long day as I could have been out earlier but my blood pressure went a bit bonkers after the GA. I had my op on the Monday and went back to work on the Thursday.

10 days later I had a period. Just the same as before. Utterly horrendous the only improvement I had was that I didn't have the sudden flooding that I had been having.

Went back to hospital but was told they needed a 6 month history before the next step. Consultant told me that it had failed but our nHS needed the 6 month thing before allowing a hysterectomy which I finally had done in February this year.

Crutchlow35 Sat 21-Sep-13 12:26:09

I think the failure rate is small though.

Scarlett70 Tue 03-Feb-15 23:11:12

I have just had this procedure - 2 weeks ago- I feel fine. 44- 2 kids so no intention on having more. Friends that have had it done recommend it - minimal bleeding and shorter periods... I am hopeful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: