Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

A&E or would I be seen as wasting their time?

(76 Posts)
illustrated Fri 06-Sep-13 19:47:56

I've been pretty unwell recently; Lots of lumps on my neck, joint pain, tiredness, night sweats, excessive bruising and headaches.

Things came to a head last night after I couldn't sleep due to the pain. I've had blood tests today and have to wait till Monday for results. I asked for pain relief and due to me breastfeeding I got an ant-inflammatory - Naproxen.

I've taken it but the pain is just getting worse by the hour. Paracetamol wont touch it either.

Is this something I should go to A&E for, would anyone know if I can actually get anything stronger whilst breastfeeding? I'm so tired and don't need another night of no sleep.

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 07-Sep-13 13:00:27

Ah, illustrated, what a worrying time for you.

You can be seen by local GPs as a temporary resident, so could ring 111/OOH today or any time over the weekend.

Thinking of you x

nextphase Sat 07-Sep-13 13:09:04

Yep, you can be seen by OOH out of area.
Bare it in mind if you need them today or tomorrow.

Hope the tests come back soon, and are not as bad as you fear.


CPtart Sat 07-Sep-13 13:22:10

Where I am, If GP test results were bad and you needed immediate treatment the lab would inform the out of hours service who would contact you. Are you contactable though if staying out of the area this weekend??

Reenypip Sat 07-Sep-13 14:44:19

Hi illustrated,
I was at my partners house out of my area, and rang his GP surgery and they had a dr come out to house to see me, and then refered me to hospital. (That dr saved my life)

MinesAPintOfTea Sat 07-Sep-13 14:51:28

I recuperated from an operation at the other end of the country from my usual home (was living alone so went to stop with parents). Their GP saw me as a temporary patient, no problem. I just had to fill in a tiny (leaflet-sized) form so they knew who I was.

prettyanddainty Sat 07-Sep-13 20:21:59

illustrated I had all your symptoms, and the Dr tested for lymphoma, it turned out to be an overactive thyroid, it's good that you are getting seen to.

Theonlyoneiknow Sat 07-Sep-13 21:14:28

How are you doing OP?

NationMcKinley Sat 07-Sep-13 23:28:59

How is the pain tonight? If it becomes worse again then I would still suggest A&E. It doesn't matter at all if you're out of area. Fwiw, I would never consider taking any member of my family to our local hospital. We always go to one which is slightly further out. I really hope this is something minor smile

lisad123everybodydancenow Sat 07-Sep-13 23:40:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

how are you?

illustrated Sun 08-Sep-13 09:48:45

Thanks everyone. Thought I was doing a little better yesterday but today I've woken up incredibly weak and shakey. Feel so nauseous too. Every little cut I had has become infected and my eczema has flared up. I think I'm still just going to have to wait for the results before anyone can do anything for me.

TallGiraffe Sun 08-Sep-13 09:55:11

Hmm, you don't sound well at all. Have you got help looking after the baby. I think you should call out of hours doc.

Hope you get some answers soon.

NationMcKinley Sun 08-Sep-13 10:11:41

illustrated please see someone medically qualified today!

MinesAPintOfTea Sun 08-Sep-13 10:18:03

An OOH GP might well be able to chase your blood test results even if you aren't in the same area: they can ring hospitals. Just give 111 a ring and ask to see the OOH service, it doesn't matter if its not your local GP.

chocoluvva Sun 08-Sep-13 10:24:49

Don't wait now OP. Call out of hours.

illustrated Sun 08-Sep-13 11:05:19

Ok. I gave 111 a call and will be seeing an OOH gp.

Leverette Sun 08-Sep-13 11:16:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Leverette Sun 08-Sep-13 11:20:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

givemestrengthorlove Sun 08-Sep-13 11:46:39

GP mon unless you are more unwell in which case OOH

Wouldn't say AE unless you are ill enough to be admitted and OOH can't see you

givemestrengthorlove Sun 08-Sep-13 11:49:21

MN needs to stop recommending AE as a cure all... Most of the time GP OOH is the way to go unless its an accident or a 999 emergency
AE isn't for regular illnesses that aren't life threatening..that's what OOH is for.
Otherwise everyone will be sat on trolleys in the car park even with emergencies.

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 08-Sep-13 14:37:08

I'm so pleased you have called 111, illustrated, that is exactly what it is for, to sort out who needs to be seen, where and when. If an ambulance is needed they can arrange one; if A&E, they will tell you which one; if a doctor's appointment/opinion that will be sorted.

ubik Sun 08-Sep-13 16:08:05

yy to givemestrength and Boreofbabylon = the nurse 111/DIrect/24 nurse is quite capable of referring to OOH, or A&E or to other care providers and cab knows what is open when, who will see whom etc

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 08-Sep-13 18:00:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Leverette Sun 08-Sep-13 18:15:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

illustrated Sun 08-Sep-13 19:14:00

Hmm seemed it was a bit of a waste of time. I got told to see an OOH gp at a nearby hospital but when I got there they said they couldn't access my blood results as they are out of the area. The gp wouldn't give me any other medication until they knew what was wrong with me. They just said to wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now