Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Calprotectin levels

(5 Posts)
daimbardiva Sun 28-Jul-13 20:40:25

Hello all, I was having bowel problems at the start of the year and tests showed that my Calprotectin levels were extremely high. I had a colonoscopy which didn't find anything, and subsequent tests showed that Calprotectin levels were dropping so I thought that would be the end of it. However, a routine test has now shown that levels are high again and I have to go back in for a flexible sigmoidoscopy. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing - I've had a quick google and high Calprotectin levels seem to be indicative of IBD or cancer. Don't want to scare myself further - could there be a less sinister explanation?

daimbardiva Tue 30-Jul-13 12:37:55

bumpity bump...would really appreciate some thoughts from anyone who has any knowledge/experience here...

AvaMaria Wed 14-Aug-13 15:28:08

Hi, I wonder if you gave up hope of an answer. I hope I can help. I have UC and the calprotectin test us excellent abdetecting levels of inflammation.often my blood tests don't show much, but the calprtectin, which detects proteins released when inflammation occurs are very reliable. After a recent flare up my calprotectin levels were 1400 and 1600, normal is around 50, I think.

I have had the sigmoid and colonoscopy and both are very unpleasant but do show what is going on.

What other symptoms do you have? There is a good UC thread on here, but it must have died a bit because I am searching for it when I came on your post.

I hope you are ok. The high calprotectin does nthave to mean cancer, so fingers crossed for you

daimbardiva Mon 19-Aug-13 12:38:17

Thank you so much for your reply, much appreciated! My levels were 1200 at the beginning of the year, but a colonoscopy didn't show anything (and yes, you're right, it was unpleasant - I found it really painful, despite the nurse telling me that under the sedative/painkillers I'd barely feel/remember it).

The only symptoms I had were urgent bouts of diarrhea several times a day for about 6 weeks - this has calmed down now, though my bowel movements are still more frequent than normal (though I can't really remember what normal is now!). Thankfully I haven't had any pain or bleeding.

A follow up test showed calprotectin levels of 200 (50 is normal, as you say) so this is why they want to do a sigmoidoscopy. The letter from the consultant finally arrived and he thinks I may have an underlying inflammatory bowel disease. Appt is this thursday, so I'll see what happens.

Thanks again for your reply, and your encouraging words smile

mrsbrace Sat 18-Jul-15 20:23:34

hi i know this is an old post but wondered how youd got on? did you get a diagnosis?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now