Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe pelvic pain - any suggestions? (TMI alert)

(30 Posts)
AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Mon 15-Jul-13 19:36:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Mon 15-Jul-13 20:41:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Mon 15-Jul-13 22:47:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Mon 15-Jul-13 22:48:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MacaYoniandCheese Mon 15-Jul-13 22:53:36

That sounds horrible, Annie. I would get the to the GP right away...why do you have to wait so long?

DoingTheSwanThing Mon 15-Jul-13 23:03:35

Sorry you're suffering hmm there's always GP Out of hours if things can't wait.

The pattern and pain sounds a lot like endometriosis, you can also get a similar thing within the muscle of uterus called adenomyosis - this causes pain and heavy bleeding.

Several things GP can try, but I'd be wanting a gynae referral for proper diagnosis (and if it is, lots of treatment options) fairly sharpish.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Mon 15-Jul-13 23:12:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cocolepew Mon 15-Jul-13 23:23:06

It does sound like endometrosis, I had adenomyosis but it didn't cause any bleeding I was bleeding into the wall of my womb instead of out IYSWIM?
Do you think you could have had a prolapse? It can cause pain deep down and into your rectum. As your womb gets bigger during your cycle it causes hour pressure. Definitely see your gynaecologist as soon as you can.I don't think you would need to wait until your cycle is over.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Mon 15-Jul-13 23:29:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Mon 15-Jul-13 23:31:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cocolepew Mon 15-Jul-13 23:36:16

You could have an ablation to stop your periods. I had one a couple of years ago but now I wish I had taken the hysterectomy. I ended up having a hysterectomy last August anyway.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Mon 15-Jul-13 23:39:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SirBoobAlot Mon 15-Jul-13 23:42:39

No idea, but I have a lot of the same symptoms, plus pain constantly throughout the month. Have had two lapraoscopies in the last 18 months. One to remove a large dermoid cyst (which was part of what was causing the horrific pain), the other where they found adhesions. I'm seeing my gyne again on Wednesday as the pain hasn't stopped.

There are links between PCOS and other gyne conditions, it's worth remembering that. But do see someone, as soon as possible, as it's crap, and you don't need to be dealing with it.

MacaYoniandCheese Mon 15-Jul-13 23:45:43

I was going to say endometriosis as Mom has it and has suffered quite badly with it over the years, even ending up in Emerg. sometimes. I'm in Canada too...I know it's hard for newcomers to get a Family Doctor sad. I think this definitely needs to be taken care of right away...try to get a sameday appointment. They'll then probably refer you to an ob/gyn and give you a requisition for ultrasound....I don't know what waiting times are like for gynae things now. Three years ago I had to wait a few months for a pelvic ultrasound. Your other option is a walk-in clinic...they can also give you a requisition for US, MRI, x-ray.

Otherwise I'd perhaps just go straight to Emerg. next cycle...that much bleeding and pain is certainly worth it and they'll be able to take a look at things in situ. flowers

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Mon 15-Jul-13 23:46:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Mon 15-Jul-13 23:52:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cocolepew Mon 15-Jul-13 23:53:22

An ablation burns the lining of your womb away and will stop periods for a couple of years until it grows back. I think this caused my adenomyosis to be honest. It's a quick op only in hospital for a few hours but no lifting etc for a good few weeks after.
How old are you? I'm 44 and had my ovaries removed with my hysterectomy. I'm on hrt until I'm 51, to protect my bones, so in not in the menopause because I'm still getting estrogen.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Mon 15-Jul-13 23:55:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cocolepew Tue 16-Jul-13 00:01:41

I know my Dr said that they don't usually like to take ovaries before the age of 45 if possible, but I wanted rid of mine as one of them was full of chocolate cysts and caused me a lot of pain.

I really regret having the ablation, I ended up being of work for a year before my hysterectomy because I was so swollen and sore.

I think there is never only one thing wrong with you when it comes to gynae problems, usually a couple or more.

cocolepew Tue 16-Jul-13 00:02:20

Obviously my Dr was going by UK decisions.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Tue 16-Jul-13 00:22:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I've had the stabbing pain up the bum, heavy period thing. It's really horrible. I've got tablets on prescription now, tranexamic acid and mefenamic acid. Have made no end of difference to me.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Tue 16-Jul-13 00:28:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 16-Jul-13 07:02:55

PCOS and endo can co-exist; I have both and this condition and disease respectively have left me subfertile.

Endometriosis cannot be ruled out here I am sorry to say. This can also cause heavy and painful periods to arise.

I would keep a daily pain and symptom diary and note everything down. The stabbing pains in your rectum have been described on here as "javelin arse" and is an indicator as well of endometriosis. I winced in recognition at reading that.

What sort of doc are you seeing on September 5th?. Is it a GP or a gynaecologist?. Regardless, you need to be seen sooner.

If it is endometriosis Annie, a hyst may not get rid of endo because the endometrical deposits can also attach themselves to the intestinal walls.
If you do have a hyst your ovaries will need to be removed at the same time as these "feed" the endo deposits.

Also an ultrasound will NOT detect endometriosis if it is there; it is usually only diagnosed through a keyhole surgery op called a laparoscopy. Mefenamic acid and transexamic acid tablets are often also given to women who present with endometriosis. You need therefore to see a specialist gynae who actually knows what they are talking about. Its very easy to be fobbed off.

Although this is a UK based website it has a lot of good information on it regarding endometriosis and its symptoms anyway:-

cocolepew Tue 16-Jul-13 10:27:15

I had endo, adenomyosis, PCOS and a prolapse all together. My consultant asked me to have an MRI scan to check to see where the endo was so he would be able to get it all during the hysterectomy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now