Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Using Breastmilk on 'Sticky Eye'

(5 Posts)
Racers Tue 06-Jun-06 16:22:52

I've read that this works and wondered if it made any difference if it was previously frozen milk? Even when DD is feeding off one side, it's hard to squeeze any out of the other, so I remembered my last stocks of ebm and defrosted a little bit. I then dapped in a cotton ball and used that to wipe away the gunk. Should I also try to get a couple of drops into the affected eye? Has anyone had sucess with this and do antibiotic drops have a more instant effect? DD is having her first birthday party at the weekend, so it would be quite nice to have it cleared up by then but I'm reluctant to use antibiotics except as a last resort.

Racers Tue 06-Jun-06 16:23:32

that's dabbed in cotton wool, not dapped

Twiglett Tue 06-Jun-06 16:24:26

yes it works and much better than antibiotics IMO

NatalieJane Tue 06-Jun-06 16:28:04

Not sure about anything else but when my DS gets it, I wipe over his eye with a cold tea bag and if it isn't already gone by the next day I do it again, and then it's gone by the day after that.

Good luck!!

Racers Tue 06-Jun-06 16:28:09

thanks Twig, I'll keep it up. One problem I have is the nursery DD has just started at. The policy is they can't return until 24hrs after treatment has started - by which they mean antibiotics. That's why I'm off work today, but I want to go in (morning only, then off for rest of week anyway) - so do I vaguely say 'treatment' has started? I think I have no option! They wouldn't know she wasn't on drops as I'll be collecting her by the time the next lot was due (or at least soon after, so I expect they'd prefer me to do it anyway).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: