Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How much does having the coil fitted hurt?

(12 Posts)
Xavielli Tue 06-Jun-06 12:48:12

If anyone has had one could you please tell me your experiences of having it?

LadyCodofCOdford Tue 06-Jun-06 12:48:52

liek a smear but longer

have a glass of wine before

frogs Tue 06-Jun-06 12:54:37

A bit uncomfortable but not agony. Wouldn't have wine myself, but do take a couple of nurofen an hour before.

Xavielli Tue 06-Jun-06 13:05:03

I only ask coz a friend of mine has one and said it really hurt as it causes a mild contraction. Apparently after childbirth it doesnt seem so bad.

Also, any side effects from the hormones in them or anything?

LIZS Tue 06-Jun-06 13:10:28

Bit worse than a smear but not as bad as an internal during labour!

Do you mean a Mirena then ? There are all sorts of reported side effects - some annyoying (like facial hair, spots, weight gain and irregular spotting) , some horrid (like bad headaches), some good (minimal or no periods, long term contraception)

mosschops30 Tue 06-Jun-06 13:12:44

Message withdrawn

suejonez Tue 06-Jun-06 13:13:55

Don't know as I had mine done under a general (for something else - but they did coil at the same time). I had weight gain and spotting and a few spots but they settled down after about 3/4 months and I thought the mirena coil was fab - solved all of my gynae problems.

Was very sad to have it removed

southeastastra Tue 06-Jun-06 13:22:06

i found it ok the thought of it was worse than having it fitted, it only took about five minutes, after it hurts a bit like period pain but soon settles down. it makes you a bit woozy.

I didn't have mirena coil so cant comment on hormones.

Aero Tue 06-Jun-06 13:25:19

I couldn't have one fitted because of the pain, but think this was because my 'tube' (or wherever they try to insert the thing) was extremely narrow making it impossible for the GP to do it without referring me to the hospital to have it done with anaesthetic, by which stage I'd almost passed out and was totally put off. Shame though, as I'd very much wanted it for the benefits. I'm an unusual case though. I was shocked about how much pain I was in over something so seemingly simple (which I was previously happy to have done and not worried about) though.

Am sure it would be ok for you.

peanutbutter Tue 06-Jun-06 18:26:18

Yep I'd agree it's a bit more than a smear but nothing to get worked up about. Take an anadin or something just beforehand. hth

imaginaryfriend Tue 06-Jun-06 18:38:46

I had one fitted years and years ago pre-childbirth and it was quite painful although very briefly so. So I dreaded getting another but 4 months after giving birth I barely felt a thing.

handlemecarefully Tue 06-Jun-06 18:40:11

Hardly at all....ime

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: