Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Chicken pox - how long off school/nursery

(13 Posts)
twinsetandpearls Tue 06-Jun-06 11:23:39

My dd has had chicken pox. we first noticed the spots 11 days ago - so two weeks ago this friday. They are no longer bothering her, she doesn't feel ill and no new spots have appeared for a good few days. The ones she had are going and are all scabbed over. When can I send her back to nursery?

Normsnockers Tue 06-Jun-06 11:29:33

Message withdrawn

PrettyCandles Tue 06-Jun-06 11:31:21

Now. Generally not contagious once there have been no new spots for 48h, tho many places still require you to wait until all spots have scabbed over.

twinsetandpearls Tue 06-Jun-06 11:38:05

Have just checked her again and she has a few on her feet that are not scabbed over, I think this is because she is picking at them. So if they have scabbed and then she has unscabbed them is she contagious again?

She is also distraught at the thought of having to see her freinds at nursery with a scabby face. Am I being soft keeping her at home for this reason if she is no longer contagious.

PrettyCandles Tue 06-Jun-06 11:42:28

Once they've scabbed she isn't contagious, though they could get infected if she picks at them. Will she keep socks on? If the spots are itchy, bathe her feet in water with a tablespoonful each of sodium bicarbonate and cornflour added.

As to the vanity of a pre-schooler - well, all females are allowed to be vain , but it's up to you how much you tolerate. Does she think she'll be teased? If so, that's something to discuss with the staff. Or you could make a big deal of her spots, and take some photos to help her remember how amazing she looked.

PrettyCandles Tue 06-Jun-06 11:43:24

BTW you can bathe any bit of her body in that solution - I put loads in the bath when my two had it.

twinsetandpearls Tue 06-Jun-06 11:51:01

She is worried about being teased, and she is quite a vain child and worries about people thinking she isn't pretty. I am waiting for her nursery to get back to me and will talk to her once I know if they will let her back tomorrow.

Normsnockers Tue 06-Jun-06 12:03:02

Message withdrawn

twinsetandpearls Tue 06-Jun-06 12:16:45

Have spoken to both nurseries, she can go back when they have scabbed over, there are a few I am unsure of so to be on the safe sid I will send her back Friday and she is going for her afternoon at primary school on Thursday as I don;t want her missing out.

Another child at one of her nurseries had just had chicken pox so that may help dd feel a bit more normal.

twinsetandpearls Tue 06-Jun-06 12:17:13

She is 4, she will be 5 in september.

PrettyCandles Tue 06-Jun-06 13:21:06

You may need to persuade her a bit, as the spots can take a couple of weeks to fade.

twinsetandpearls Tue 06-Jun-06 13:37:12

She is happy to go to school tomorrow and nursery on Friday. Am about to take ehr for a walk in the village so she gets out of hiding in the house and have invited a friend for tea.

twinsetandpearls Tue 06-Jun-06 13:37:23

school thursday rather

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: