Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Ear infection - or a cold, and I'm a wimp? Mumsnet decides :-)

(9 Posts)
bluebear Mon 05-Jun-06 19:42:56

Can the court of mumsnet please decide if I should take time off work to go to the GP tomorrow!

I have had a cold for the last week, usual muzzy head, runny nose, small amount of coughing..but unusually this time have had a lot of pain from my ears, and now have a freaky pain in my left ear which radiates below my ear, under my jaw, across my cheek (this bit is like pins and needles), and is now hurting inside my mouth (thought it was an ulcer but the inside of my mouth looks red with tiny spots)..pain is worse in 2 places, under my ear, and beneath my jawline ?glands there?
I've now got the feeling that there is something inside my ear, and am fighting the temptation to stick something down the ear canal.

I haven't taken any time off work (since I guessed it was viral and I get a virus at least once a month), but does the collective wisdom of mumsnet think that it might actually be something needing antibiotics, hence ruining my day tomorrow by trekking to the GP and begging for an appointment?

Medulla Mon 05-Jun-06 19:46:23

Sounds like you may have tonsilitis - very sore! Go and see your GP even if it is a virus you don't sound fit enough to go to work. Have a day off and take it easy or you'll never get yourself better. Take care ;)

bluebear Mon 05-Jun-06 20:07:26

I've had tonsilitis a few times (to the point of going to A and E as I couldn't swallow my own saliva), it doesn't feel the same.
Think I might take my temp, and if it's up I'll assume it might be non-viral?

Medulla Mon 05-Jun-06 20:10:59

It could be up whether it's viral or non viral. You mentioned that you get a virus once a month - do you think you might be a little run down?

SoupDragon Mon 05-Jun-06 20:12:44

Does it feel like you have cotton wool/water in your ear? I'd say ear infection.

beansontoast Mon 05-Jun-06 20:26:19

def take time off!

dont go to work ill...youll never get better.

and whilst im nagging...if its an ear infection something warm ...like a hot water bottle in a towel...will relieve the pain/discomfort..plus pain killers if needs be.

at the very least it will convince you taht you are poorly and SHOULD NOT TRY TO WORK through it!

xx

bluebear Mon 05-Jun-06 21:06:59

I'm def run down - can't remember a time since ds was born when I haven't been - not something I can easily fix (I'm trying honest).

Yes, SoupDragon, like water in my ear, or sometimes like tickly cotton wool.

Thanks for the nagging BOT

Guess it''s GP for me tomorrow then.

bluebear Tue 06-Jun-06 18:23:29

oh well, took the day off work (by the time I'd queued for emergency GP appointment there was no time left to get into town to go to work) - GP said 'It's virus', 'take some paracetamol' (I'm already taking painkillers - I had thought of that myself).
So I'm still in pain, and now feel like a work-shy skiver to boot.

BROWNY Tue 06-Jun-06 18:25:55

Bluebear! I had very similar symptoms to you, couldn't stand the awful pain any longer, so went to the g.p. She said it was sinusitus and prescribed strong anti-biotics. Did your g.p. look into your ear? My g.p. said that one ear was pink and the other (the v.sore one was bright red). HTH and get well soon!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: