Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diagnose my poor stomach please!

(26 Posts)
TheCountessOlenska Fri 05-Jul-13 20:46:44

I think I need to go to the GP but am not sure how to describe this, I will try on here first...

It's a stomach ache that comes on quickly after I eat. I have had it for years but am getting it more and more often recently. For instance I know eating mussels brings it on, so I don't eat them. But the other night I had it after eating salmon and broccoli, and tonight after finishing off DD's pasta and broccoli confused

It's not like IBS (which I used to get in my 20s, before I stopped smoking), not crampy and the pain is higher up my abdomen - more like a band of intense discomfort, sometimes it eases after an hour, sometimes it goes on all night. It also makes me feel shivery and sick (although I never actually vomit). It's horrible, all I want to do is lie on my stomach and try and sleep till it passes off - not always possible with small children!

I think it might be a food intolerance - but to what?? Or could it be an ulcer (although I don't get heartburn)?

Anyone had similar?

Twunk Fri 05-Jul-13 20:48:18

Gallstones? Though the pain radiates towards the back.

You must excuse me, I had them and I am a little obsessed.

Hassled Fri 05-Jul-13 20:50:13

You really should see the GP. It sounds awful.

TheCountessOlenska Fri 05-Jul-13 20:50:52

What kind of pain were your gallstones Twunk - dull ache or stabbing pains?

How do they check if it's that?

Thanks!

TheCountessOlenska Fri 05-Jul-13 20:52:51

I know I know Hassled, I will do! It's one of those things where it's awful at the time, then I feel fine and forget all about it. It's not affecting my appetite, and I feel quite healthy in general.

Twunk Fri 05-Jul-13 20:54:56

It happened after eating. Felt sick and then a very intense ache would start. I was 36 weeks pregnant when it started - horrible!

Diagnosed by an ultrasound - after a night spent in a&e with my 2 month old son! (DH had to drive me so we all went).

Charmingbaker Fri 05-Jul-13 20:56:40

It might be worth asking doctor to test for coeliac.

TheCountessOlenska Fri 05-Jul-13 21:01:10

Ooh it does sound like that Twunk! Not in my back though. And I have a three month old - does pregnancy make them worse I wonder..

Did you have to have an operation?

TheCountessOlenska Fri 05-Jul-13 21:03:09

Thanks Charmingbaker I am just googling coeliac..

Twunk Fri 05-Jul-13 21:06:29

Oh yes pregnancy is a huuuuuge risk factor. Though generally the risks are:

Female
Fat
Forty
Fair
Fertile

(I was 4 of these)

Yes an op was needed - I had keyhole surgery, was out the next day and fit enough to look after DS1 (very heavy baby) the following day! I have a little pot of gallstones - mine looked like peppercorns - several dozen!! confused

TheCountessOlenska Fri 05-Jul-13 21:09:15

Intresting! I am not forty yet (mid thirties) and only a bit fat but definitely female, fair and fertile!

Twunk Fri 05-Jul-13 21:10:56

I was 33, a bit overweight, fertile and fair! Same as you.

TheCountessOlenska Fri 05-Jul-13 21:18:00

Bollocks! Now I think it is gallstones and I'm going on holiday on Monday!! Will have to not eat for a week sad .. will see GP as soon as we're back.

TheCountessOlenska Fri 05-Jul-13 21:27:00

Thanks tho Twunk smile

Twunk Fri 05-Jul-13 21:30:19

Just be a bit careful! You should be fine. Enjoy your holiday.

(Sorry)

greeneyed Fri 05-Jul-13 21:51:08

Do you have the mussells in a cream sauce? If so it might be the fat content if it is gallstones. The pain would be in your upper abdomen possibly slightly to the right. If this sounds likely then avoid all fatty foods on your holiday keep fatty food to a minimum. Equally could be gastritis does alcohol make it worse? Have you been taking a lot of painkillers?

pipsqueakz Thu 11-Jul-13 19:31:07

Go to gp they may refer you to a dietician and a gastroenterologist my husband has chronic stomach issues very many to list but have you tried an antispasmodic what are your symptoms op.

50ShadesofXmas Sun 14-Jul-13 21:25:35

I could written your post 5 weeks ago and I'm having my gallbladder out in 3 weeks due to gallstones - as above advice, keep off all things fatty - fish and chips, fried breakfast esp sausages etc and see gp as soon as you are back - good luck.

PowderMum Sun 14-Jul-13 21:45:44

Def sounds like gallstones, after I was diagnosed I waited 3 months before my op, mangaed this by eating a no fat diet. I would describe the pain as if your bra strap was trying to kill you by squeezing (even if you are not wearing a bra) whilst the gremlin that lives in your belly is kicking his way out. For many years this was it and if i rested and slept the symptoms eased. Then I had some really bad attacks when I was sick, shivery and couldn't sit or lie down just pace up and down in agony. Had to go to A&E for morphine.
Basically is the fat content was more than 4% I wouldn't eat it. Very bland diet lots of plain cooked chicken and white fish. There is plenty of information on the Internet.
I went to Orlando during this time and managed to not have an attack, but I did continue on my restricted diet and if I couldn't be sure that it was suitable I didn't eat eat not matter how tempted I was.

TheCountessOlenska Mon 15-Jul-13 16:42:12

I'm back from my holiday - thanks for all advice smile
Well, I was absolutely fine on hols, was eating mainly grilled meat/fish/ veg and chips (Spain grin ) So it looks like the break from my Dh's delicious but quite fatty/ buttery cooking has done me good! Am more and more convinced it's gallstones - will ring GP in morning, thanks again smile

Twunk Mon 15-Jul-13 18:02:19

Pleased you enjoyed your holiday. Let us know what the doctor says.

Gingerandcocoa Wed 17-Jul-13 18:34:40

I'm glad I found this thread, I hope some of you might be able to help me.

Similar to OP I sometimes will get stomach pain soon after I start eating, it's like "gas" pain, a bit like stabbing rather than a dull ache. It's not really concentrated on the right side, it's really all over my stomach, sometimes it does move to my shoulders but I've had it more on the tip of my left shoulder than my right! I've noticed I have gotten it when I had alcohol, and also chips and white bread. Oddly enough I've once got it whilst eating salad with sparkling water at lunchtime.

The pain lasts for a few minutes only.

Has anyone had similar symptoms?

ChablisLover Wed 17-Jul-13 18:41:56

Does the pain radiate to your shoulders?

If so gallstones

Not pleasant but treatable

I had my gall bladder removed - best thing ever

Feel so much better for it

Gingerandcocoa Wed 17-Jul-13 18:43:15

But I'm really scared of ops.... sad

Gingerandcocoa Wed 17-Jul-13 18:43:42

(the pain does radiate to my shoulders, but as I said it's like a stabbing pain like trapped gas)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now